Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
46062601

I am feeling inhibited since Ive been married. This has gone

Customer Question

I am feeling inhibited since I've been married. This has gone on for 10 years, How do I overcome this to be at my best? Is my relationship stumping my growth in many areas? I am trying to rule out if it is me or not; or if the "state" of being married is not good for me. Thank you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer. Let me ask you a question before I offer an answer. Are you open to counseling for personal growth or other goals?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sure.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hi, Being married may have changed your life style, personal habits, and priorities in life. You may need to discuss most of things with your husband. You also may need to communicate your needs and wants with him. You may feel inhibited to do things that you used to do or enjoy.
If you do not feel happy or fulfilled in life, you may need to take action to work on what may keep you feel this way.
You may consider seeing a psychotherapist who provides support, guidance, direct advice and facilitate ventilation and processing of feelings.

You can search a licensed psychotherapist with the specialty on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to (http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/ppc/prof_search.php?iorb=4764) and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as Life coaching or Spirituality. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she has the specialty and accepts your insurance if you prefer. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that she wants to work with – Male or female? Old or young? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You can ask any question and negotiate psychotherapy fee. Please let me know if I have overlooked any or you have more questions. Warm regards,

Edited by Dr. Olsen on 11/1/2010 at 9:27 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Positive feedback is appreciated. Best regards, XXXXX XXXXX