Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
45897396

I have a 17 year old son. He is a Senior in High school, is

I have a 17 year old son. He is a Senior in High school, is not involved with a girl (or boy), and is not watching porn. My question is, what is "normal" for masterbation at that age?

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. It is very normal for a 17 year old boy to masturbate.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

A 17 year old is at the height of their sexuality.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Are you there?

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Here is one link about ADD/ADHD. I will be right back. I will send you others.

JACUSTOMER-qr3kqfdm- :

Now I am here and can see your responce. How many times per week is normal. I have religious leaders telling my son 2 - 4 times per week is abnormal and that he needs counseling.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

What do you mean by how many times per week -- of what?

JACUSTOMER-qr3kqfdm- :

How many times per week is it normal for a 17 year old boy to mastrubate. He says he does it 2 -4 times per week . he has religious leaders telling him he is abnormal and needs counseling

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

OOPS !There was a tecnical error. I sent what I did on ADD to another question but it popped up here. I am so sorry. Forget about the ADD/ADHD.

JACUSTOMER-qr3kqfdm- :

I wondered about that

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

It could be several times per week. It could be daily.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

I'm so sorry about that.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Boys of 17 are very sexual. Are you able to tell me more so that I will understand better what the issue is.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

2-4 times per week is not abnormal. He does not need counseling because he masturbates 2-4 times per week. That is totally normal.

JACUSTOMER-qr3kqfdm- :

At church yesterday my son had a birthday/yearly interview with our bishop. During the meeeting the bishop asked him if he was moraly clean ie did he view porn, was he sexually active with others etc. My son confessed he masturbated 2 - 4 times per week. The bishop led my son to believe this was abnormal and told him he needed to stop all together because it was a sin. He offered to pay to have my son see a counselor for this problem. My son came to me and we had the frank conversation about what had occured. I spoke with a religious counseling center who told me all masturbating was abnornal. i don't agree and am trying to find the line of abnormality between the two opinions.

JACUSTOMER-qr3kqfdm- :

What would be consdered obsessive? My concern is how to counsel my son between the health profession and narrow religious views. Of course with all the sexual addictions becoming more common no one wants their child to head that direction. If the mastrubation escalates when is it considered a problem.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

I am sorry but the religious leaders are the ones who are abnormal ---telling a normal 17 year old boy that he needs counseling. NO --- he does not. There is nothing abnormal about masturbating. It is a normal sexual desire. I am so very sorry that these religious leaders have made your son feel guilty about being normal. Since he already discussed it with you please tell him that I said it was totally normal. You may want to look up my extensive training and share that with him. I am worried that what this bishop told him will cause damage. Your son is normal.

JACUSTOMER-qr3kqfdm- :

We are in agreement. Thank you for your assistance.

JACUSTOMER-qr3kqfdm- :

I will chat with my son about our conversation. If he has further questions is there a way to pick up this conversation with you specifically again?

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Absolutely! Just ask for Dr. Shirley Schaye. He's a normal kid!

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

If you have no more questions please click on ACCEPT and leave feedback. If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

JACUSTOMER-qr3kqfdm- :

Thanks. I am going to leave the window open. My son is coming in to talk to me in just a minute. If he has no more questions then I will click accept and close the window. If he has a question I will type again.