Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

I have recently gone from 60mg cymbalta p/day to 30mg/day and

I have recently gone from 60mg cymbalta p/day to 30mg/day and I notice that I am super grumpy (it's been about 10 days). Is this normal? and, how long should I expect this to continue? additionally, is there anything I can do to ease this irritablility?

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Why did you reduce Cymbalta. It sounds like you need the 60 mg. This is side effect, it is need for the higher dose.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am trying to get pregnant and my doctor will take me off when I am so I am trying reduction to ease the blow. I failed to mention or even think about the fact that I am also on clomid and it is a whopper on my Mood near menstruation.
It is really hard to tell given the combination. Clomid regulates hormones, but the chemicals in your brain (neurotransmitters), so you are messing with a whole bunch of hormones at once. Either could account for mood. When pregnant, most antidepressants are avoided, but their classification is most often "no direct human evidence but some animal studies suggest harm". Generally weight pro's and cons.

Practically, exercise, no alcohol, no caffeine(very good! for you), no smoking and good nutrition help. Vitamin D may help.

I would ask MD for 15 mg capsules and taper every 10 days by 15 mg, not 30, or even increase to 45 for 10 days to see if it helps. It may help identify the culprit in the irritability.