Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

I have recently gone from 60mg cymbalta p/day to 30mg/day and

I have recently gone from 60mg cymbalta p/day to 30mg/day and I notice that I am super grumpy (it's been about 10 days). Is this normal? and, how long should I expect this to continue? additionally, is there anything I can do to ease this irritablility?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Why did you reduce Cymbalta. It sounds like you need the 60 mg. This is side effect, it is need for the higher dose.

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert. You will also receive an email when your question is updated. If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above. Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.

I changed this to this format. Will be glad to keep working with you. Chat has been erasing my answers. Dr. Wilfong

Edited by Dr. Ed Wilfong on 11/1/2010 at 10:58 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am trying to get pregnant and my doctor will take me off when I am so I am trying reduction to ease the blow. I failed to mention or even think about the fact that I am also on clomid and it is a whopper on my Mood near menstruation.
It is really hard to tell given the combination. Clomid regulates hormones, but the chemicals in your brain (neurotransmitters), so you are messing with a whole bunch of hormones at once. Either could account for mood. When pregnant, most antidepressants are avoided, but their classification is most often "no direct human evidence but some animal studies suggest harm". Generally weight pro's and cons.

Practically, exercise, no alcohol, no caffeine(very good! for you), no smoking and good nutrition help. Vitamin D may help.

I would ask MD for 15 mg capsules and taper every 10 days by 15 mg, not 30, or even increase to 45 for 10 days to see if it helps. It may help identify the culprit in the irritability.
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience: Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.