dreamteam
dreamteam, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  I am an expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, panic attacks, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and PTSD.
52652086

I know a 26 year old female, Jane, whose mom has depression

Customer Question

I know a 26 year old female, Jane, whose mom has depression with hallucinations. Jane's mom's condition began at the age of 40. Jane has no history of depression herself. What are the chances of Jane developing a mental condition later in her life?
Not sure if this is relevant, but Jane also has a normal blood pressure level of 90/55 and heart rate of 90bpm.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  dreamteam replied 6 years ago.

dreamteam :

hello, I would like to help you.

dreamteam :

are you on chat?

dreamteam :

I first have a question for you. What triggered your friend's mom's depression?

dreamteam :

Also, did Jane's mom suffer any trauma?

JACUSTOMER-vvqq3erm- :

Hi

dreamteam :

hello.

dreamteam :

her mom

dreamteam :

if she has suffered a trauma in her life.

JACUSTOMER-vvqq3erm- :

hi

dreamteam :

Ok, I'm going to try and answer your question now, even though we seem to miss each other. Jane will not necessarily develop a mental condition later in life. Mental illness is partially biological and hereditary, but it needs a stressor usually to bring it out. For some women, there is late onset depression and psychosis, and this is possible for Jane to develop symptoms later on in life. Jane may be genetically predisposed to some degree, but if she takes care of her mental health regularly (seeks therapy when she needs it, has good social support, knows how to manage her stress, etc..) then Jane should be ok. If she does develop a disorder later, then early intervention is the key, and likely if she takes good care of herself, she will not have a severe a disorder as her mother did. Stress is really the key factor. If a person knows how to deal with difficult life circumstances without getting overwhelmed, they are likely to have better mental health. Also, a key part of good mental health is good physical health. Good diet, exercise, and relaxation time are very important.

dreamteam :

If Jane's mother suffered a lot of trauma or abuse in her younger years, then likely this is why her mental health is poor now. If Jane does not experience trauma, then her chances of developing a mental health condition later on is much smaller.

dreamteam :

are you having some trouble with your chat?