Dr. K
Dr. K, Psychiatrist
Experience:  15 years clinical experience in all areas of psychiatry. Holistic and practical approach.

What is the best method for treating a 13-year old with social

Customer Question

What is the best method for treating a 13-year old with social anxiety disorder?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.

My own style of practice tends to be conservative, so medications may be an option...but I initially recommend other treatments, esp. for a 13 year old.

Most studies on severe social anxiety would show the best results with a combination of medications and psychotherapy.

On the one hand, I understand what the therapist said...but the therapy still needs to work to treat and alleviate the social anxiety. Keep in mind, psychotherapy takes time (I recommend weekly for 6-12 months a minimum trial).

I also recommend learning some formal relaxation therapy (yoga, tai chi, meditation,etc). All these treatments are proven by studies using sophisticated brain scans to calm down the brain.

I would definitely get her some good self help books like this one: The Shyness & Social Anxiety Workbook: Proven, Step-by-Step Techniques for Overcoming Your Fear by Martin M. Antony and Richard P. Swinson

Let me know if you need more details. Good luck.

Please let me know if you need more information. We can continue the dialog until you are satisfied. Once your are happy with the answers don't forget to hit the ACCEPT button & provide expert feedback. Also remember that this is not an official doctor patient relationship and not a substitute for a full live psychiatric evaluation. Thank you for using