Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

My 12 year old son (who has just started senior school) will

My 12 year old son (who has just started senior school) will change from being happy and carefree to sulky and introvert within seconds. this can be triggered b the smallest action and can last from minutes to hours. He has assured me (Dad) that there are no problems at school and he would tell me if there were. However, his behaviour is extreme and casuing a lot of family upset. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bill :

Hello are you available to chat now?

JACUSTOMER-gd6kcmqs- :

Yes

Bill :

Great,,,,,so your son his acting out unexpectedly?

Bill :

Does he have any history of developmental of mental health problems?

Bill :

Does he act out at school or just at home?

JACUSTOMER-gd6kcmqs- :

Yes to the first part and no the second

JACUSTOMER-gd6kcmqs- :

He is very well behaved and liked at school, it is at home with his parents and brother when problems start

Bill :

How does he do academically?

JACUSTOMER-gd6kcmqs- :

About average I would say, sport is more his thing though

Bill :

Is he a team player? Any complaints from coaches etc?

JACUSTOMER-gd6kcmqs- :

Team player yes, no complaints from coaches

Bill :

Great. Do you have expectations that are clear and limits that a consistently applied (in the home)?

JACUSTOMER-gd6kcmqs- :

I would like to think so, he has set times for homework, relaxing, bath and bed etc and cewrtainly knows how to behave in an acceptable manner

Bill :

Ok great.

Bill :

I would call his teachers to double check that nothing is going on at school that may be contributing to this. Don't rely on him to decide.

Bill :

It sounds as though he is having what is having some mild form of adolescent adjustment reaction

Bill :

where he acts out at home the feelings that he cannot identify and express.

Bill :

Lots of changes at this age and kids can become very changeable in their mood etc

Bill :

If everything is going well at school and there is nothing else to consider, if his behavior continues to disrupt the family, I would seek a Family Therapist for further evaluation.

JACUSTOMER-gd6kcmqs- :

OK, thanks for your help, I will make contact with his school and may come back to you or seek help.

Bill :

You can always reach me here my Screen name is XXXXX XXXXX if I am offline , I will get back to you asap.

Bill :

best of luck, I appreciate your accept and positive feedback.,

Bill :

Thanks,

Bill :

Bill