Pamela, LCSW
Pamela, LCSW, Psychotherapist/MSW
Experience:  25 years of experience in private practice and inpatient psychiatry;licensed in two states

I have been the primary caregiver for my husband who was diagnosed

I have been the primary caregiver for my husband who was diagnosed 8 years ago with early onset Alzheimers. I have been increasingly anxious, heart has been racing and I am not sleeping. Do I need to see a psychiatrist? If so is there one in the Concord NH area that is better at this type of thing than another?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Pamela, LCSW replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer:

Sorry that you are having a difficult time. You do not necessarily need to see a psychiatrist, but since your primary care has already tried paxil, it would probably be a good idea to see a specialist ( psychiatrist). I believe there is a mental health center at the Concord Hospital or you may want to try the group-Womankind Counseling,(NNN) NNN-NNNN I would recommend getting some support for yourself in the form of psychotherapy as well. The Alzheimers association also offers support groups for caregivers that may be helpful to you.

It would also be a good idea to get some in home support to help assist you with your husband, if you do not already have some. He may also benefit from some psychiatric care to help with his agitation.

I hope this helps and wish you luck.