Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

Hello, In January 2003 I entered a clinical trial for depression.

In January 2003 I entered a clinical trial for depression. I did very well and at the end of the trial was prescribed 90 mg of Cymbalta daily. It is a wonderful medicine for me. I am not depressed, and have no side effects. Indeed, I feel very well.

Years ago I was on Prozac. It worked well and my depression lifted. I stopped it though (cannot recall the reason). Then, later, I went on Prozac again, and it no longer worked! After that, I tried many different meds for depression and nothing worked. Then I entered the above noted clinical trial.

My question: Is it dangerous to be on Cymbalta for a long time? I'd like to go off it but I am afraid if I do, and get depressed again, and go back on it, it will not work, as in the case with Prozac.

What do you suggest? I am a 69 year-old woman.

Thank you.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

I would go back on Cymbalta! (Start slow, 30 mg for 10 days and increase by 30mg and wait 10 days and go to 90mg). The dosage is in normal range. Cymbalta is slightly different from prozac in how it works and is obviously better for you. You should be able to take forever without any harm.

Please reply here.