Kristin
Kristin, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Mental Health Counselor. 11+ years specialist in mental health. Expertise and insight!
45544450

I have a very happy long term relationship with a woman. However

Customer Question

I have a very happy long term relationship with a woman. However I want to ween-off Effexor XR 75mg in order to be able to have orgasms again. When I stop taking it for 3 or 4 days I orgasm quite normally. But, unfortunately, I turn into a Dr. Jeckyll and become unbearable to those around me including myself.

My GP, whom I have great respect and trust, said that if I did ween-off and find that I cannot cope with the irritability and anxiety or depression, "that I may be unable to return to the level of normalacy that I enjoy now while taking the 75mg daily"!!!! And that I must choose now between "no orgasms" or "no strong anxiety and depression."

My fiance suggested that I might have just become addicted to it since all of the trauma that I went through 10 years ago, divorce, selling my company, and my home, and moving to Florida from Illinois, and....that since I have lived a predominentlly stress free life since then, that it is no longer needed.

I would appreciate a 2nd and 3rd opinion!
Thanking you in advance,
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kristin replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

Can you tell me how long you have been on the Effexor XR 75mg?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
about 5 years!
Expert:  Kristin replied 6 years ago.

Okay so basically what is happening is that when you stop taking it cold turkey for a few days, yes you are able to orgasm again, but you are also not tapering off the medication slowly and that is going to cause that extreme irritability and mood change you describe.

It sounds like you started taking the med. during a stressful time in your life, and now things are going much smoother. It's possible that if you do taper off gradually (under your doctor's monitoring and advise on how to gradually taper off) that you will not feel that irritability and may also find that you are not depressed or anxious like you may have felt five years ago. If after tapering off the drug, you did feel that you wanted to go back on, there is no reason you could not restart again. I'm a bit confused as to why the doctor feels you need to decide now if you're going to stay on it or not. Many people do taper off, and feel great. Others decide to restart the medication or even try a different one, if they feel they need the medication. My advice would be to ask your GP to help you taper off the Effexor gradually so that you do not have withdrawal and feel that irritability. And what his opinion is of seeing how you feel at that point. Or to seek an opinion from a psychiatrist in addition to your GP. Please click ACCEPT if satisfied. Or ask for more info. Thank you!

Edited by Kristin on 11/1/2010 at 3:13 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Kirsten,

I truely mean no disrespect but I want to speak with a male Dr. who has actual experience in treating his male patients and can tell me about the ones he has had success with and the ones he has not had success with and why!

Also, I'd like him to tell me what are the realistic possibilities that I may never be under control as I am now if I try to go back to this medication.

This is a major problem for me and I want actual, for sure, and real case histories of the Dr. I cannot be satisfied with "should be" situations or "in theary" reports of the Dr.

I do not wish to be part of a "here try this" method of suggestions.

Please refer me to one of your fellow staff who has "THE" most experience in this problem.

My appologies if I've offended you as that is not my intention!

Thank you, Pete