Karyn Jones
Karyn Jones, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Diploma of Counselling and Transactional Analysis Counselling, Lifeline counselling, Pastoral Care.

Hello, I have been on quetiapine for about 5 years. Ive

I have been on quetiapine for about 5 years. I've also been on Lithium for the past two years (I was taking Carbamazepine before then).

My psychiatrist has recently decided to take me off quetiapine - I welcomed this as it makes me very very sleepy and i have to take it by 10pm to be able to get up for work in the morning. I was on 400mg and about a month ago, we took it down to 200g. I did experience some withdrawal - nausea and dizziness but it passed after a week or so. I had another appointment last week and we cut it out completely so I last had Quetiapine on Wednesday night.

Now I'm suffering really bad nausea. The only thing I found that helps is if I lie completely still but as soon as I move I feel sick again. I did manage to lie still for about 8 hours today (had to take day off work, I felt so sick on my way there that I just turned round) but it's absolutely mind numbing.
Is there anything I can do to ease this? I don't know how long this is going to take and I really want to go to work. And of course I want to feel better too.
I have read a journal where the subjects who experienced withdrawal didn't respond to having the dose upped again so I guess that's not an option and I would imagine that would prolong things too.

I have tried wearing the anti-nausea wrist bands but I have sensitive skin and they are really itchy.

Thank you.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for bringing your concerns to Just Answer, with regards XXXXX XXXXX to cope with the unpleasant withdrawal effects of Quetiapine (Seroquel).. Please know just how much I feel for you having to try and deal with persistent vomiting..and what goes with that. its such an awful experience, but will eventually stop by has been known to cease after the first week of withdrawal.
Most people think vomiting is controlled by the stomach, but a special area of your brain called the vomiting center is really in charge.
To help combat this ..try to.
  • sip lukewarm water which should be taken only after being boiled on a high temperature.
  • Make sure that you don't drink cold drinks as it exacerbates the abdominal complication leading to more vomiting.
  • Administer the soda water as it has the property of countering the vomiting.
  • Avoid fatty and deep fried food items.
  • It’d better for you to chew gums with mint flavor.
  • Take as much rest and lie down when you can.
And if all else fails :

Non-prescription medicine for vomiting is directed at one of two problem sites: the stomach and labyrinths.

'Meclizine and Cyclizine' (available at your local pharmacy)

*-These are antihistamines with powerful anti-nausea actions on the labyrinths. They prevent motion sickness and the vomiting associated with it. Meclizine can be used just once daily in anyone over 12 years; and Cylizine is shorter acting.

Posphorylated carbohydrate solution- This mixture of sugar syrups and phosphoric acid calms nausea and vomiting due to stomach irritation /upset. Because it’s not a drug, you may use it safely. Be sure to obey the limits on the package, since large doses can worsen vomiting.

Dehydration is the most important complication of persistent vomiting...while Quetiapine is flushed out of your whole system...

I do hope this has been of help to you if it has please 'accept' my responses as it helps greatly to keep this valuable service going for you and others in the future..please know my thoughts are with you in this..
best wishes & blessings
Karen S(ProfClinicalDipCounBmin)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you karen, i actually feel a lot better today and can move about a little bit. i'll take your advice on board! thanks a lot!
Hello, thats great news...take care now and go well..