Kristin
Kristin, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Mental Health Counselor. 11+ years specialist in mental health. Expertise and insight!

i feel kind of weird asking about this but i have a sister

Customer Question

i feel kind of weird asking about this but i have a sister who has been texting this guy named dylan queener for over a year now. She got this guys number from a girl at school who showed her some pictures of him and she was interested. They have never met and there so called "relationship" is only through texting. She has become consumed with talking to him. She lives on her phone now because she loves talking to him and my parents have taken it away many times and have grounded her because they know its not healthy for her. They have read some of her texts and she talks about how much she hates our family when we don't know where thats coming from because were all really close and my parents have always been extremely good to us. She also talks about running away because he's the only one who understands her. My sister isnt the person she used to be ever since she has been talking to this guy and my mom has demanded to see pictures of him and meet him so she can see who her daughter is talking to and every picture shown doesnt look like the same person and everytime we open our home to have him come over so we can meet him, hes always busy or cant make it. Whats really disturbing to me is that my mom did a people search on Dylan Queener and he doesnt even exist. She did another search for a D queener and the youngest was a 29 year old and the oldest was 80. So now my family is faced with the very high posibility that my sister is talking to a older man whom she thinks is a guy her age. my parents showed her the proof that he didnt exist and she is still in denial and believes that hes real and doesnt want to let him go. She doesnt listen to anything we say and sees us as the enemies instead of looking at us as the good guys. Please, where do we go from here?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kristin replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

Are you able to see what the texts have been saying or what they talk about etc?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes. She is talking about running away with this guy and how she wants to have sex with him when she is only 15 years old. She says she is the only guy for her and that she wants to be with him forever. One thing thats bothering me is that he will be so mean to her in a couple texts telling her to f**k off and then the next is talking about how much he loves her and wants to be with her. And even though she gets yelled at and disrespected, she still forgives him and tells him she loves him. She also tells him alot about our family, like how my parents are out to get her and its not like that. All they are doing is trying to help her and try to get there daughter back in a sense. They know that what shes doing is unhealthy and she tells him that she hates her parents and they treat her horribly and that its torture living in our house.
Expert:  Kristin replied 3 years ago.
This is a potentially very dangerous situation. Your parents at this point, need to take away all her ways of communicating with this unknown guy or man, or whoever he is, such as her phone, computer etc. It's alarming that she has been able to do this for over a year and she is only 15. All of her behaviors point to being influenced negatively by this person. Your parents need to start setting up consequences and restricting priveleges etc. At the same time however, there is a risk of pushing her towards him, so they really need to have her start counseling and soon! They may also want to consider contacting local authorities about this situation and this person could be an online predator, etc. This needs to stop. You can show my answer to your parents....but they need to get her some professional counseling to get her away from this person and his negative and potentially dangerous influence. Please click ACCEPT if satisfied. Or ask for more info. Thank you!
Expert:  Kristin replied 3 years ago.
Did you have any more questions about this? If not, please do click ACCEPT otherwise I'm not paid for my help today. Thank you.