Kristin
Kristin, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Mental Health Counselor. 11+ years specialist in mental health. Expertise and insight!
45544450

hi ive been tested for hiv 6mths ago but can not get the trauma

Customer Question

hi ive been tested for hiv 6mths ago but can not get the trauma of it all out of my mind.I have 2 young children to look after and a business to run .my wife is amazing but i think she is also starting to crack now.it is constantly on my mind and feel trapped ,ive seen a few psychologists,psychiatrists and a hypnotherapist but with not much gain .I am desperate to get my life back for the sake of my family ,please help me.sorry to trouble you steve xxxxxxxxx thankyou.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kristin replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

Just so I understand, are you saying that you have tested positive for the HIV virus? Or just that you were tested?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no i am negative but cannnot think anything else but hiv as i worried so much so about it i feel my mind is just programmed on this and cannot stop myself thinking of this it is driving me crazy and feel greatley depressed .
Expert:  Kristin replied 3 years ago.

Okay, I see. So what is going on is that you are developing obsessive compulsive type thoughts around this. And when your brain starts into this path, you do become kind of programmed in a sense. Do this when you start up with the thoughts. It's called a thought log:

1. what is the thought or feeling?

2. what triggered the thought or feeling?

3. what is the evidence to support the thought or feeling?

#3 is what is important because here you will see that there is no factual basis for the thoughts and fears, that they are NOT facts, only thoughts. That you don't need to believe them. Getting the thoughts onto paper also helps you to get them out of your mind and onto paper where you can organize and manage them better.

At this point, I would encourage you to seek a medication to help you with this. Something like as SSRI could really help with this. Zoloft for example is helpful in treating anxiety and ocd type thoughts and behaviors. It may be what you need to help you over the hump, so you can start to manage this more effectively. I cannot say that zoloft is the right medication for you, but to encourage you to see your doctor about being assessed for the proper medicaiton to help you with this. Please click ACCEPT if satisfied, Or ask for more info. Thank you!

Expert:  Kristin replied 3 years ago.
If you have more questions, please ask. Otherwise please do click ACCEPT, otherwise I'm not paid for my assistance. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
i dont like the thought of being labelled with ocd i have allways been a positive person all my life there must be a way out