Kelley
Kelley, Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Experience:  BSW, MSW, LCSW
20327072

Is talking in third person normal for a 4 year old My 4 year

Is talking in third person normal for a 4 year old? My 4 year old has recently started talking like this (coinciding with commencement of kindy) she doesn't do it all the time and not so much with other people but will give a running commentary of what she is doing at home e.g. "yes mummy! she says happily", "she walks over to the kitchen to get a drink" etc. etc.

She was a late talker (over 2) but is communicating very well now.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kelley replied 6 years ago.
Hi. Thanks for using JustAnswer!

It is probably just a phase since she is still very young and learning how to speak properly. She is probably mimicking how she hears herself being spoken to. I would correct it and use the proper speech. She may also be story telling or pretending she is another person and trying to tell a story. There is also a possibility that it could be a sign over autism but you did not really describe any other concerns and I would not jump to that conclusion at this time. Here is a link to some symptoms of autism http://www.helpguide.org/mental/autism_spectrum.htm. I would suggest just watching it for now as long as you do not have any other concerns about her development and correcting it as she does it by putting it in the proper person.

Please let me know if I can assist anymore, I am here to help!