Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt
19260254

I have had a diagnosis of narcissitic personality disorder

Customer Question

I have had a diagnosis of narcissitic personality disorder during traumatic child care proceedings several years ago,however i should add that the mmpi test results initially came back as normal,but the doctor then said i had seen through the answers and therefore faked my response.Another medical expert has since told me that the mmpi profile is either valid or not, and it cannot be seen though, in addition it has no scales to measure npd.I am seeing a gp today as i would like him to make a referral for me to see a psychiatrist in order to evaluate the validity of the first experts diagnosis.What type of test would reflect if a person has npd?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 6 years ago.

It would not be a psychiatrist giving the test (they do not do that) but a psychologist.

The Millon Clinical Multiaxial Inventory-III (MCMI-III) and it is used to measure psychological traits/disorders. Commercial insurance does not pay for personality tests and it would be an out of pocket expense.

Tests such as the MMPI-2 still remain in use widely even w/ questioned validity. In addition to standard tests, usually a clinical/psychosocial assessment is also conducted. The Millon Clinical Multiaxial Inventory-III (MCMI-III) and it is used to measure psychological traits/disorders. Commercial insurance does not pay for personality tests and it would be an out of pocket expense.

The APA has some information available on psych testsing

Edited by Dr. Rossi on 11/1/2010 at 2:22 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
In my case it was indeed a psychiatrist that gave me the MMPI -2 Test and interpreted it himself.The GP I saw today was very good and he will be helping me with the whole situation via a specialist referral.
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 6 years ago.
All right.