Dr. K
Dr. K, Psychiatrist
Experience:  15 years clinical experience in all areas of psychiatry. Holistic and practical approach.

Hi hope u can help!! Itapered off of effexor with the help

Hi hope u can help!! Itapered off of effexor with the help of prozac, last dose of effexor was sept 18, recently I'm experience panic anxiety every day and night, I really want to be off antidepressants altogether as I've done well in the past any ideas what I can do for now?? Help:(

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.

There are 3 main things to do to treat panic without medication.

1st, consider psychotherapy. It is a great treatment proven to help panic; in fact, research shows therapy is a better treatment than meds like effexor. You usually need to go weekly for 6 can get away with every other week if you are seeing a CBT specialist (cognitive behavioral therapy).

2nd, I also recommend learning some formal relaxation therapy (yoga, tai chi, meditation,etc). All these treatments are proven by studies using sophisticated brain scans to calm down the brain. (Btw, psychotherapy is also proven by similar studies).

3rd, here are some great self-help books which can help: 1) Panic Attacks Workbook: A Guided Program for Beating the Panic Trick by David Carbonell 2) The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook (New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook) by XXXXX XXXXX;

And don't foget that anxiety relates to mind-body improving nutrition & exercise will always be helpful. Good luck & take care.

Please let me know if you need more information. We can continue the dialog until you are satisfied. Once your are happy with the answers don't forget to hit the ACCEPT button & provide expert feedback. Also remember that this is not an official doctor patient relationship and not a substitute for a full live psychiatric evaluation. Thank you for using