Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

Good evening. I am afraid to drive my new car. This is not

Good evening. I am afraid to drive my new car. This is not because I am afraid of crashing but I am afraid of getting a scratch or something like that in the paint. I avoid highways because of this. Next weekend I have to go on a 400 mile round trip in my new car. Of course I will have to take the highway. Do you have any suggestions that may lesson my worries?

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

If you are available, I will answer live.

Customer :

Hello

Customer :

I am new to this chat

Customer :

but thank you for your help

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

I guess you are a bit obsessive about your new car. It is a risk to buy a new one. Sometime a scratch will appear, and then another. They don't last, but they can be repaired.

Customer :

Well, I do suffer from OCD. A scratch can appear and if it does then (for example if it was in the front) I would need to get the entire front end repainted which costs close to $500 (which is what my insurance deductable is anyway.) I wish I could just drive the car and know that it is just a machine but this has caused me great stress and sometimes I check my car from different angled 25 times in a night. I just want to not worry and enjoy my weekend away but I am sick with worry that I will scratch my new car.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

I have two solutions for you, but it will cost you.

Customer :

Which are?

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

First, you can find a place that installs Scotch-Gard Film Pain Protector on your entire car. It really works.

Customer :

Really, thanks for the advice. Is this less than $500?

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

They say that "Paint Protection Film maintains the beauty and integrity of automotive finishes on vulnerable exterior painted surfaces such as leading hood edges, fender end caps and rocker panels. This rugged urethane film helps protect against stone chips, bug damage, abrasion and weathering. Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film is transparent and nearly invisible, and it does not alter vehicle appearance."

Customer :

Sounds good. Am I being unreasonable about my car?

Customer :

Should I just see it as a machine and not worry?

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

I don't know the price, but I will give you a website. I also have another suggestion to follow. First the website:

Customer :

Thanks

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard_Paint_Protection/Film/Support/Where_to_Buy/

Customer :

Thank you. What was the other one?

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

You have paid a lot of money for it, and naturally you worry.

Customer :

Yes

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

You do have OCD, as I implied, so it bothers you more.

Customer :

So my fears are reasonable and not out of line of what is normal?

Customer :

Yes, I do have bad OCD. I am being treated with Luvox but it doesnt help

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

It is just machinery, and it will eventually deteriorate. You want it to deteriorate slowly and not lose value or lose the looks that you admire. I can't blame you. You must be realistic, however.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

The other idea is

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Lower the deductible on your insurance. You will pay more but will be able to better afford repairing those minor damages.

Customer :

Well, that is a good suggestion as well. I have one more question if I may?

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

How about trying some psychotherapy for your OCD. No drugs, and proven techniques for reframing your thinking.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Go ahead, with your question.

Customer :

I will take your adivce and get into talk thearpy instead of just meds. My question is as follows. You said "You must be realistic, however." Do you believe that my constant worries of my car getting scratched or dirty is totally normal is very much over blown because of my OCD?

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

It is hard to say, because Americans really identify with their cars, and since it is part of your image, and you wish to project the image of the perfectly kept car, an American point of pride, it is some of that. Perhaps your OCD does influence those thoughts as well as other obsessive and compulsive behaviors that you follow.

Customer :

Well, yes. I think it is not normal to go into my garage upwards of 25+ times a night, correct?

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

If it is important to you at this moment in your life, then take care of protecting yourself, one way or the other.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

No. That is your OCD. The classic example is someone washing their hands 30 times a day. Same sort of thing.

Customer :

Okay, thank you for your help. I will look into your suggestions. They have been helpful. I would just like to ask.. Is it correct and helpful to TRY to think of my car as more of a machine because if I take it on a 400 miles I I will likely get a chip in the paint and I don't want that to ruin what would otherwise be a good weekend

Customer :

Is that a good idea. Remeber that it is only a machine?

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

That is an excellent idea. Chances are, if you are cautious (and I know that you are), you will not get a chip. If you do, well, it's a pity, but its only a machine, and thank goodness YOU are not hurt - not even a scratch.

Customer :

Thank you for that. You have been most helpful. Have a great night!

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

I wish you a wonderful weekend, full of fun adventures and no scratches.

Customer :

Thanks! Bye

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Please accept my answer if we are finished. Best to you. Elliott

Customer :

Yes thank you

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Thank YOU.

Customer :

It will not allow me to accept. Why is that?

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Keep trying. I have never heard of that before.

Customer :

It says your expert has not finished answering?

Customer :

tryinh to chick accept

Customer :

trying

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Try now, I changed something.