Pamela, LCSW
Pamela, LCSW, Psychotherapist/MSW
Experience:  25 years of experience in private practice and inpatient psychiatry;licensed in two states

Sometimes I find myself having a drink to take the edge off.

Sometimes I find myself having a drink to take the edge off. I do not drink and drive and I never have more than 4 drinks (I know that is a lot) but I feel that I cannot socialize without that kick from drinking. I think I am self concious. What can I do about this?
Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer:

Many people have social anxiety disorders that are treated very effectively with medication and cognitive behavioral therapy. It is very common for people to use alcohol to take the edge off or to treat their anxiety.

I would recommend seeking help from a psychotherapist who specializes in treating anxiety disorders and/or get a consult from a psychiatrist to possibly get medication to help take the edge off in a more healthy way.

I hope this information is helpful to you and wish you luck.