Karyn Jones
Karyn Jones, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Diploma of Counselling and Transactional Analysis Counselling, Lifeline counselling, Pastoral Care.
44579284

topiramate and alcohol interaction. thank you.

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Karyn Jones replied 3 years ago.
Hello, thank you for bringing your inquiry re:Topiramate and that of Alcohol interaction to Just Answer..I believe I can be of help to you in this.

It is believed that Topiramate (anti epileptic drug), dampens ones desire to drink, perhaps by reducing dopamine release by neurons in the brain’s reward circuitry...hence, it has been shown to reduce alcohol craving and heavy drinking and to improve abstinence.
Though, it is also advisable to avoid drinking alcohol while taking this medication..as it can increase certain side effects of topiramate, and can also increase your risk of a seizure.
I note that presently you are on a relatively low dose of Primidone ( 75mgs) for essential tremors..this can be increased gradually from 75 mgs up to 120mgs..and thereafter up to a max of 320mgs ..though this will need to be assessed and determined by your family Dr and would be good to discuss this with him/her (if indeed tremors persist).
Ultimately, a plentiful intake of water while taking these medications is well recommended as to avoid dehydration in the future..
I do hope this has been helpful to you if it has please 'accept' my response as it also helps by way of keeping this valuable service going for you and others int he future..
Best wishes
Karen S ( ProfClinicalCounDipBmin)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you for your attention. You refer to "certain" side effects with topiramate. Is 9 t0 15 oz. of wine excessive?
Hello, thank you for your reply...no I don't believe 9-15 oz's is excessive but unfortunately any intake of alcohol while taking these medications can exasperate the usual side effects and in turn could lead to detrimental results.. ( outlined above)
best wishes
take good care
Karen
Karyn Jones, Mental Health Professional
Experience: Diploma of Counselling and Transactional Analysis Counselling, Lifeline counselling, Pastoral Care.
Hello, thank you for your additional feedback response and I am very pleased that my response to your initial post has proved most helpful to you...
Take good care..
Best wishes
Karen
Karyn Jones, Mental Health Professional