Karyn Jones
Karyn Jones, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Diploma of Counselling and Transactional Analysis Counselling, Lifeline counselling, Pastoral Care.
44579284

IDK I think about getting robbed or mugged a lot lately and

IDK I think about getting robbed or mugged a lot lately and I'm frightened. Why is this happening all of a sudden now? I'm 48
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Karyn Jones replied 4 years ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for bringing your concerns to Just Answer ..please let me say just how much I feel for you in this and I can completely understand where you are coming from....
What you are experiencing is indeed what many experience in the world today...though I don't know if this is any consolation for you.
Sadly, to live in fear today is a sign of the times, yet on the other hand its also about keeping ones fear in 'perspective'.
Although fear is very useful in our 'fight' flight' ( adrenalin based ) response given a certain detrimental situation.. fear out of perspective can actually paralyze us..to the point of not being able to move or move forwards each day in a positive way..
Why you are feeling this now I suspect has to do with what 'negatives' you might well be surrounding yourself with ..( particularly if you live alone) The Media world seems to afflict viewers by way of 'doom & gloom' news flashes and reports/articles..because to them it is not a news flash sensation unless of a 'negative' degree ..so it is well that you have turned the news off ..and it would probably do well for you to steer clear of newspapers /shocking articles portraying muggings/robberies.doom & gloom.etc..but instead focus on other more up-lifting channels plus other more up- lifting movies/books/media..surround yourself with these
It has also been well documented that prolonged negative visual effects of media..can gradually grind people down ( like yourself) whereby creating a sense anxiety and of doom gloom and in part bring about feelings of afraidness and depression out of that..
If you treat yourself to a 'feel' good more positive environment you ( and scrutinize carefully what you wish to see ) you will maintain a positive fearless disposition...and then You' are in control of your own environment ..hence, ultimately its about acknowledging your fears ( because they are part of you ) and yet moving past them and through them to a much more realistic non- paralyzing perspective concerning your chances of being robbed or mugged...and if at all possible arrange to go with another or other persons where you can when you go out anyway..to also help nullify the chances..plus the usual strong security system at home..by way of locks/catches/safely chains etc.
I do hope this has helped put things more in perspective for you...it might help to imagine a set of scales ..and to imagine balancing your fears in one against the reality of what the likelihood of it really happening in the other...
Please 'accept' my response if it has been helpful to you as it does also help to keep this valuable service going for you and others in the future...and my thoughts 'are' with
you..
blessings
Karen ..S( ProfDipCounBmin)
Karyn Jones, Mental Health Professional
Experience: Diploma of Counselling and Transactional Analysis Counselling, Lifeline counselling, Pastoral Care.