Pamela, LCSW
Pamela, LCSW, Psychotherapist/MSW
Experience:  25 years of experience in private practice and inpatient psychiatry;licensed in two states

We have a daughter 17, with Downs Syndrome. Recently she has

We have a daughter 17, with Downs Syndrome. Recently she has become very tired, yawning, and taking herself off to bed early in evening. She has become a bit withdrawn and very reluctant to do anything like going out anywhere. Also recently she lost a lot of weight by herself and she looks great and is quite proud of herself.

With her ongoing fatigue we have had her blood levels tested and they have all come back normal. She doesn't have any real friends, at school she has developed a very close attachment to her main teacher, female. (who gives her the attention, and affection she needs).

To our knowledge she isn't being teased or bullied at school. We don't think, certainly hope not, that she hasn't been sexually interfiled with.

We are very concerned, she appears to be exhibiting signs of some sort of depression, or perhaps even developing an obsession about food, an eating disorder.

Please, give us some pointers, advice, strategies and even who would be good for her/us to see? Jackson
Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer:

It does sound as if your daughter is exhibiting the signs of a clinical depression. The lose of weight and fatigue are big warning signs. Being withdrawn and not as interested in her usual activities are also big red flags. Any of these symptoms in an adolescent are worrisome and could be indicative of a problem at school, an eating disorder or depression. The specific symptoms that you mention sound most like depression to me.
I would have her evaluated by a psychiatrist who specializes in adolescent treatment and is familiar with Down Syndrome. He/she will ask you and her questions and possibly prescribe medication. At the same time, I would have her see a psychotherapist to find out if there are particular precipitants to these behavioral changes. A school counselor or your could give you a referral.

It is a positive sign that she has started to become interested and involved in her activities, however, I think it is still worthwhile to have her evaluated.

I hope this helps and wish your daughter well in her recovery.