Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I took an anxiety test recently and my responses came to a

I took an anxiety test recently and my responses came to a conclusion that I agree with nearly 100%. What can I do to get better? OVERALL AFFECTEDNESS ASSESSMENT On the overall affectedness scale you are probably anxious and or depressed much of the time. More than likely it is hard for you to enjoy life on any consistent level. You are always second-guessing yourself and the world around you. You are over thinking and obsessing and you hardly ever experience peace of mind. You’re often fearful, worrisome, and unhappy. You don’t like being this way but you don’t know what to do to change. Things are too much work and no one understands the way you feel. You go from worry to depression, to worry again, wearing yourself out with your thoughts and what if thinking. You probably hate yourself much of the time for being so miserable to be around and yet you can’t seem to find comfort when you’re alone.
SEVERE: Expectations: You are often disappointed in yourself and others, and even in life in general. Things just don’t live up to your expectations. You are someone who can be very hard to please. You are often let down, dissatisfied, and often things are not as good as you expected. The vacation, the hotel room, the birthday present, nothing meets your expectations…including you! You are your own worst critic and the hardest person to get acceptance from. You are constantly beating yourself up for not being good enough. This type of thinking can actually create severe symptoms anxiety and depression. Learning to establish realistic expectations can do a great deal in helping you achieve peace of mind. SEVERE: Temper: Your anger can get the best of you. You often feel irritable, frustrated and downright mad. Sometimes you don’t even know why. It is not totally your fault that you are angry. Anger is passed down through generations. It is a learned behavior. You have learned to be angry by watching others. You probably overreact to things and take things very personally. Anger can be a very effective tool for creating a false sense of power. It is an addictive behavior that you have gotten comfortable expressing. Possibly you are secretly concerned about your anger and you are, at times, embarrassed or ashamed about your temper. Feelings of anger can make a person feel bad about him or herself not to mention putting a person in a consistently bad mood. Feelings of anger can create anxiety, stress, and depression and create of sense of feeling “out of control”. To take control of your anxiety and depression you must gain control of your anger.
MODERATE: Worry: Obsessive worry is at the root of all anxiety and depression. It is a very common symptom of anxiety and depression, and one of the most debilitating emotional challenges a person can experience. It robs a person of his or her happiness, makes it impossible to be in the present moment, and creates a litany of body symptoms. Worry is bad habit that becomes more intense with practice. The more you do it, the better you get it at it, and it becomes a negative addiction that can destroy your peace of mind. Somehow you think you are actually doing something about the problem if you allow yourself to worry about it. At times, you can worry obsessively. You are someone who, depending on the situation, can overreact about things and put yourself into the “what if” thinking cycle. This can create anxiety, depression, and stress. Learning how to control the bad habit of worry is key to overcoming problems with anxiety and depression.
SEVERE: Attitude: Negative attitude and negative thinking will surely affect the outcome of your daily life experience, if not your entire life. You are a negative person although you may not realize it. You tend to be skeptical, cynical, and to see the negative side of things. More than likely, you talk negatively and think negatively, and you worry and obsess about negative things. You are constantly waiting for the ball to drop, the bad thing to happen, the end result to be negative. You have a hard time believing that good things can happen and even if they do, they won’t last. This type of thinking makes it hard to feel good, or live a happy, productive life. It is also this type of thinking that actually creates anxiety and depression and keeps you “stuck” there. Negative thinking and the obsessive worrying that goes with it are what cause much of your anxiety and depression. It is absolutely imperative that you learn to change this way of thinking to take control of destructive anxiety and depression.
SEVERE: Control: You are someone who needs to feel in control of everything in your life to feel comfortable. You need to control your environment, your comings and goings, how long you will be there, whom you will be with. You need to feel in control of yourself and your life. You may need to drive the car or “fly” the plane to feel comfortable. You may worry about losing control of yourself or even your mind. . Emotional sensitivity creates anxiety and depression as a result of a person not being able to handle his or her feelings. This type of thinking can actually create symptoms of anxiety and depression and fuel the fire of emotional distress. To overcome problems with anxiety and depression you must learn how to be less sensitive and more sensible when deal with your emotions.
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

If you agree with the assessment from your online anxiety survey, then you would probably be well-served by seeking the help of a clinical counselor or clinical psychologist. If you talk to your doctor or a psychiatrist, you will probably just wind up with medication, and this is not the best way to start, but it is often what happens when you see people who prescribe medications.

If your anxiety is severe, including panic attacks, you may eventually need to have some medication from time to time, but talk therapy is the way to go for you.

You will improve your quality of life as you face the issues that are causing your stress and anxiety. You will learn how to reframe situations so that you have less "catastrophes" and learn how to manouver through life.

Reading all of these words does not do you any good. It is not therapy. Let a professional talk to you and focus on what you can do in your life, specifically, to make life easier and more enjoyable.

Please take action now. The sooner you do, the less likely that this condition will deteriorate. It is a small but necessary investment in your future, and hopefully will turn your life around in a very positive manner.

Best wishes,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Could you refer me to a good psychologist in either the Boston, MA area or Wellesley, MA area?
Here is a list of therapists from the Wellesly area. Look them over and make up your mind. I looked at the list and I thought that Dr. Sherry Delinsky, PhD, would be a good choice.

http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/state/MA/Wellesley.html

Best wishes to you.

Please be sure to ACCEPT my answer.

Best wishes. You will find peace and tranquility with just a little help from a professional.

Elliott