Lori Gephart
Lori Gephart, Licensed Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist and Hypnotherapist 20 years of experience helping clients of all ages.

I use my fingers to play with my eyebrows. I have done this

I use my fingers to play with my eyebrows. I have done this since i was a child and sucked my thumb. I have worn bald spots in both eyebrows but the right is worse. I am right handed and used to suck that thumb. i ofted play with them until they bleed and often keep doing it as the pain seems to add pleasure. i do it without realizing i do it now. what is wrong with me? how do I stop?

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing. The disorder you are describing could be an impulse control disorder known as Trichotillomania in which the individual has irresistible urges to pull hair from anywhere on the body including scalp, eyelashes, eyebrows or other places. The behavior of hair pulling generally relieves tension, even though the individual generally is aware that it is causing harm to them. Treatment typically involves therapy including habit reversal training, often combined with medication, typically antidepressants (SSRIs). Treatment with a psychologist and psychiatrist would be highly recommended. You may find the following link helpful:

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if I can clarify further.