Lori Gephart
Lori Gephart, Licensed Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist and Hypnotherapist 20 years of experience helping clients of all ages.

My son is starting to become withdrawn, forgetful, depressed

My son is starting to become withdrawn, forgetful, depressed and having difficulty in maintaining focus in class. What can I do to help him?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lori Gephart replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. Can you please share some additional information such as the age of your son and whether there have been any recent stressors in the family. This will help with my answer.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My son is 19 years old and currently in his second year of college. While in high school my son was bullied. He was never afraid of the bullies but choose not to retaliate because he didn't want to get suspended from school. The school's administration did nothing to handle the situation. My son became very angry towards these students and while the same students tries to be friendly toward him now, he still harbors ill feelings toward them because they made his high school years miserable. I believe as a result of what happened in high school his very insecure and have low self esteem making it difficult to maintain a relationship with friends.

Thank you for the additional information. College can be a time of opportunity for growth and change. It could be helpful to encourage your son to get involved in new activities, clubs, sports, etc at college to allow him to make new friends and branch out from his old high school classmates. Additionally, it may be very helpful for your son to seek counseling at school to get some support and to rule out the possibility of anxiety, depression or another issue that may be compromising his ability to enjoy his college experience in the most successful way. Colleges have counseling departments that are generally free to students to get help. I would suggest that these warning signs not be ignored since he should not have to continue to feel this way.

Bullying can have long lasting emotional consequences if it is not addressed in a healthy way. Your son deserves help in working through the fallout from this bullying and begin to enjoy life.

I hope this answer is helpful. Please let me know if I can clarify further.