Lori Gephart
Lori Gephart, Licensed Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist and Hypnotherapist 20 years of experience helping clients of all ages.
45699345

What is my best option for treating my ocd..... I pray all

What is my best option for treating my ocd..... I pray all the time and if I don't get it just right I have to start over. I have bad images in my head of God images I shouldn't have and I pray about it constantly. I don't know what to do I check things over and over and I can't stop. I'm ashamed to tell anyone all the sexual things I think because I'm a good person and I don't want them to think less of me..... I need help please.... Help me

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing. OCD can be a very difficult issue that requires professional help. Exposure therapy can be extremely helpful, often with the addition of medication. It is not unusual for obsessive thoughts to be sexual in addition to other types of thoughts. There is no reason for shame about this. You may find this website to be helpful for additional information: http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/index.shtml

Please keep in mind that you do not have to suffer alone. Reach out to a psychologist who works with OCD to get help with this issue. The psychologist will not be shocked by your thoughts as you are not alone with these types of obsessions and they do not mean that you are a bad person, only that the OCD has been interfering with your thinking.

I hope this answer is helpful. Please let me know if I can clarify further.