Mina
Mina, Clinical Psychologist
Experience:  Working as a Highly Specialist Clinical Psychologist in NHS. Experience in both children and adults
35302356

My Gp thinks I have some kind of mood disorder but he wont

My Gp thinks I have some kind of mood disorder but he wont say I have bipolar. I am taking 20mg Lexapro, 30mg Remeron and 50mg Lamical. I have personally done some Bipolar tests online and I certainly fit the description for Bipolar 1 from those tests. I have done more research into Bipolar and when I think back on the last 15 years of my life (I'm 27 now) I see major shifts in energy and mood, from extreme mania to extreme depression, and also many alternating mixed states with rapid cycling.

My GP has set up an appointment for me to see a psychiatrist in two weeks. My GP has hard a hard time trying to stabilise me the last two months, trying new meds and a bit of switching and adding but to no avail, I have still been extremely depressed, suicidal at times and also periods of extreme aggitation and restlessness with enormous surges of energy. I am apprehensive about my appointment with the psychiatrist. What should I should I expect on my first visit to a psychiatrist ( I am seeing a psychoterapist for the last few months and she said that she has never met anyone with such a vicious internal critic as mine!)? Thanks, Mike. (Ireland)
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Mina replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us.

First of all, I would like to say that you are doing very well in arranging to meet with the psychiatrist. I am sure that your GP is well informed about the disorder and is trying his best. However, psychiatrists can perform specialist assessments and would be more specialised in bipolar than your GP.

What you can expect is an assessment of your history and present condition, symptoms and general circumstances. He will ask you about medical history, family history, mental health history and to describe how you are experiencing your symptoms e.g. the phases that you mentioned, frequency, intensity etc.. The session would probably take between 30-45 mins to go through all this information.

It would be best to ask some family members about any family history of mental health disorders that you may not be aware of. Also, I would advise you, just so you are more prepared, to write down any questions that you have for him.

After the initial session, if he confirms the diagnosis of bipolar he will be able to review the medication you have been taking and he may need to make any adjustments if he feels he needs to. He will probably offer you further review sessions, possibly after 1 or 3 months in order to monitor the effectiveness of the medication.

I am sure that you will find the session interesting and helpful. You are doing very well in going forward with this and looking after yourself.

All the best

Mina
Mina, Clinical Psychologist
Experience: Working as a Highly Specialist Clinical Psychologist in NHS. Experience in both children and adults