Sarah
Sarah, Psychologist
Experience:  Chart'd Psych, 12 yrs exp. English prisons, Clinical Hypnotherapist, EMDR Therapist, BPS, HPC reg'd.

Dear Sarah I am delighted to follow up with you on the

Dear XXXXX:
I am delighted to follow up with you on the question of psychopathy regarding my wife. I am a physician who has a wife who is a nurse pratitioner. Our marriage lasted about 11 years and was punctuated with bizzare behavior, addiction and multiple demonstrations of personality abnormalities. My wife was raised in a religious home and never attended public school only Seventh day Adventist schools. She is well educated. Her name with proper title is Mattie Y. Sherard, RN, BSN, MSN, FNP, APN. She is a former captain the airforce and served with distinction.
I am amazed at the turn of events in my wife's life. She and I married 13 years ago. She has always had an expemplary academic record. We had two son's together. She used drugs during her pregnancy of our last child, about 7 years ago. She is a virtuoso pianist and was the minister of music for our church. She directed 3 choirs. She was president of our school board, and president of the nurse practitioner's association of our local county. She graduated with her Master's degree in Nursing in 2006 and things went downhill seemingly after that. She started to see a woman, started to smoke cigarettes, marijuana, drink alcohol. All of this was done away from the home. She never had to work. She began to steal money from the practice, giving it to her mother, sister, friends, the church but mostly herself. She always dressed impeccably and spends freely on clothing, has over 215 pairs of shoes for example. She focuses on her physical appearance to an extreme degree. Over the past three years just before our divorce she used drugs heavily; I discovered that she was sleeping with women, 31 men and multiple bizarre people whom you would never think a Master's Degreed person would associate with. Her present boyfriend is 7 years younger, no education beyond high school, homeless, lives with his parents, addicted to cocaine, bisexual. She met him in drug rehab. I insisted that she get help. She has been with him from April 2009 until the present day.
Her treatment didn't help at all. Throughout her life she has used aliases. She has over 6 aliases. Mostly they are used for getting credit and buying stuff. She used them to get accounts set up to get more and more credit accounts.She never apologized for ruining the marriage or any of her affairs. She finds it very difficult to admit to any shortcoming. She stole prescriptions from the office and forged my signature. I prosecuted her and she was arrested, convicted and now is a convicted felon for life. She is to have another hearing soon before the state board of nursing to determine her fitness to be a nurse. She, soon, is to be tried for embezzlement, having stole $104,000.00 during a two year period of time. She acts as if there is no problem. Her parents give her no support now. She behaves in a fashion where she is accountable to NO one. During our marriage she would never ask for my advice or follow my advice, even if she were in trouble,she would follow my advice until she got out of trouble.
I am trying to get a handle on her psychological profile, as she now is a criminal, continues to use aliases to do dishonest deeds and lies almost continually. Because we have young son's together, I must deal with her. On November 15, 2010, I go before the Tennessee Board of Nursing to testify against her, to give evidence of her criminal conduct, to present evidence of her lack of professional conduct. I thought I would give you this information and see what you think.. I am a pediatrician who also does General Practice. She seems to be narcissistic with antisocial overlapping traits. She has NO concern that I am aware of, that she is likley to lose her license for life and she may be going to prison for 5-10 years. Let me know what you think about her. I will be happy to fill you in on anything else that you need to give me an evalualtion.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Sarah replied 3 years ago.

Sarah : Hi there, thanks for getting back to me. I am going to change the format back to Q and A as you are offline. I would appreciate being paid for the last answer, but maybe you paid Dr Shaye instead?
Sarah : No worries, I can still reply to you.
Sarah, Psychologist
Experience: Chart'd Psych, 12 yrs exp. English prisons, Clinical Hypnotherapist, EMDR Therapist, BPS, HPC reg'd.
Expert:  Sarah replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Sarah replied 3 years ago.
There is obviously much more information here that would support a diagnosis of psychopathy, namely stealing, drug use, promiscuity, using aliases to gain credit (obviously criminal, I don't know why Dr Shaye seems to think that I don't see this is criminal, I am only saying it isn't a crime to use an alias - it is what it is used for that makes it criminal, in this case to gain credit and financial embezzlement); Lack of apologies, not admitting shortcomings, stealing drugs, forging signatures, whatever evidence there is to suggest that she is not fit to be a nurse ( if this involves extra stuff not already mentioned), dishonesty, lying, narcism and lack of concern. What doesn't fit with the profile of a psychopath is her exemplary academic record, being a former captain of the airforce and serving with distinction, being the minister of music for the church, a virtuoso pianist - these high profile 'pillar of the community' roles are usually what the psychopath would say they have achieved, but actually have not. Searching the relevancy documents would usually unearth the fact that these are all lies and overexagerations for the high scoring psychopath. Presumably, being married to her for 13 years, you are aware that they are actually true? The other thing that doesn't fit with being a psychopath is that your ex wife doesn't seem to have the early history of a psychopath and this is very important for the diagnosis, but again, searching through school reports may indicate behaviours you are unaware of. Nor do you mention violence, which is often present. This would suggest an acquisitive criminal as opposed to a violent one. These are often the most clever criminals as they know all the tricks, understand the therapies; this would be supported in your description that she never listens to your advice, but follows it to the letter to get herself out of trouble. She is listening intently to what you say and learning fast, but she wouldn't give you the credit for it. As I explained before, it is impossible to do a diagnosis on this site without access to documents and reports, alongside an interview, but I believe, given ALL of the evidence that you present here (not solely the use of aliases for financial gain) that you could state at the court case that you have grave concerns that your ex-wife is psychopathic and that you would like her to be professionally assessed. Here in England, criminal psychopaths are placed in a DSPD Unit, Dangerous and Severe Personality Disorders, within a high secure prison, where specialist treatments are tried. Usual treatments in prisons are based on perspective taking with victims and therefore encouraging empathy, but of course, these don't work with a psychopath because they quite genuinely don't care. I don't know whether you have such places in your state,but would certainly be worth pushing this point if so, as she is more likely to receive what she needs if she goes inside. As I said, it is possible for a person to be psychopathic and successful, using their harsh coldness to bring success in a non-criminal way. It seems to me that your wife followed this pattern for a long time (presuming that her early achievements described here are true) and yet then something appeared to tip her over the edge into criminal ventures. I have not come across this before in a psychopath. You haven't mentioned emotions - did your wife ever show love or affection for her boys? Or you? Or here current boyfriend? My advice is to push for a professional diagnosis based on your well placed concerns. If your wife is assessed and found to be psychopathic, then maybe you can find some solace in the fact that this is an illness or a personality issue that she has no control over and she probably never intended to make such an impact on your life, nor that of her sons. As i am sure you aware, this will be having an impact on yourself and your sons, and if you are feeling traumatized by the whole thing, then EMDR eye movement desensitisation and reprocessing, would allow you or your family members to let go of the emotional baggage that may be carried from all of this. You can find more info on www.emdria.org but this may not be your priority right now. Make a note of the website for possible future reference. I do hope this has been useful, feel free to reply. Best Wishes, Sarah

Edited by Sarah on 10/18/2010 at 7:34 PM EST
Sarah, Psychologist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes these items are confirmed and true. I fell in love with her while listening to her play Mozart on the piano. I visited her in the military while on base in St. Louis MO. Her record was marred however by so incidents of dishonesty but were not reported to the commanders or leaders.. THe same is true for the church appointments. She was church minister of music but was sleeping around with various members. She was also involved with violence in the military. She was certain to see to it that her acts of violence were "legal". She wanted to harm people legally. She attacked me once!!

She is superficially emotional and shows some fondness towards her son's but when the choice is given she chooses herself every time.

I think you are correct! She is a psychopath with overlapping narcissictic tendencies.

Can't narcissists be very talented people. ??

Expert:  Sarah replied 3 years ago.
Yes, of course they can. I am not surprised to hear about your wife's extra curricular activities in the church, or in the forces, it all fits well. All that you have described would fit the profile of a psychopath and I think now it is pretty evident that your wife would score quite highly on this scale. However, I must repeat, it is important for my professional standing that you do not present our discussions as being equal to a thorough assessment, where paperwork and an interview are necessary. Please don't forget to look after yourself and your sons in terms of the impact of this, I wish you all the best, Sarah
Sarah, Psychologist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sarah, I appreciate your feed back. Very insightful and on point. My wife is a sick woman and not a bad person. Yes, I have been in therapy for over a year now with an excellent therapist and my children have had some help in school. The tragedy in all of this is that I could not help her when we were together because she was so defiant that the only help she received was prosecution under the law. I will el you know how everything turns out. and once again I have a great deal of gratitude for your counsel.

Jerome A Sherard, MD