Lori Gephart
Lori Gephart, Licensed Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist and Hypnotherapist 20 years of experience helping clients of all ages.

my daughter is in a day center therapy for stress and post

my daughter is in a day center therapy for stress and post tramatic disorder, what should be the next step after this
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lori Gephart replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing with your daughter. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder or PTSD is an anxiety disorder that is triggered by trauma from an event or an experience that is very disturbing. The following website provides additional information about PTSD and may be helpful for you:

Typically after someone completes a day center therapy or Partial program the next step is outpatient therapy on a weekly or twice weekly basis. The center where she is in treatment now should make a referral for her and make sure that she is scheduled with an appointment before she is discharged from her current program. It will be important for her to see a psychologist who specializes in PTSD in order to get appropriate treatment and work through her issues.

I hope this answer is helpful. Please let me know if I can clarify further.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am afraid that because she is not an openly emotional person they will think that she has made more progress than she really has and send her back to work and her regular routine and I fear that this will make her have a complete breakdown if she has to deal with the person that contributed to her breakdown at this time.

I can certainly understand your concerns for your daughter. If she gives permission, you could speak to her treatment team about these concerns. Typically the professionals in these programs are very well versed in identifying the signs of true progress. Many people return to work on a part time basis after such a program, perhaps this is an option for her. Also, if the individual who was involved in her trauma is at her place of work I wonder if she may be able to find a new job or a different position within the company. These are all things that you might encourage your daughter to discuss with her treatment providers in her current program in order to be preparing for her discharge. Please let me know if I can help further.