Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I dream of being in high places - bridges that are riduculously high, cliffs that are way

Customer Question

I dream of being in high places - bridges that are riduculously high, cliffs that are way up high. I am scared and panicky in my dreams. What does all this mean? I hate these dreams. I am afraid of high places, so why do I continue to dream about being in them?

Karen
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 6 years ago.
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

Experience in dream interpretation shows a great deal of commonality of meaning for many themes. Dreamforth tells the signifcance of many objects and situations.

If you dream that you're afraid of heights, this usually indicates how distant you think your dreams are and your inability to reach them.

To dream that you feel fear represents that the things you have accomplished in life will not mean as much in the end. You are fearful about certain events transpiring around you.

To dream that you are crossing a bridge indicates that you have reached a significant crossroads. The choice you make can bring you great fortune, success, and happiness. Bridges symbolize a major change that will propel you to new levels of awareness or personal growth. If the bridge just seems out of reach and fearful, then it could signify fear of making a change or transition.

To dream that you are standing at the edge of a cliff implies that you are at an important crossroads in your life. You have a difficult decision to make and you are fearful of choosing the wrong option. Perhaps you finally comprehend some previously misunderstood issue, or you have developed a different opinion.
.
To dream that you or someone falls off a cliff represents your fears and hesitations about an issue or situation that you need to tackle in the future. You doubt your ability to overcome these obstacles.

There are events in your life that require decisions, changes, and action on your part, and you are in great fear of them. You already have fear of heights and so this translates easily into your situation of fear; the symbology of crossroads where decisions must be made (bridges, cliffs) point to the general meaning. The specifics may be known or figured out by you, now that you have these keys (clues) to unlock the meaning of the dream as it applies specifically to you.

I hope that this helps and that i have answered your question.

As far as being cured from fear of height, you can do it by taking little steps of approaching heights and overcoming your fear in small stages. Big steps don't work. The technique is called Exposure Therapy.

Great blessings to you in your quest for peace.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC