Lori Gephart
Lori Gephart, Licensed Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist and Hypnotherapist 20 years of experience helping clients of all ages.

Would you consider that if a person regularly drinks at least

Would you consider that if a person regularly drinks at least 1.5 bottles of wine per night, that person is an alcoholic?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lori Gephart replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

It is very likely that someone who is consuming that much alcohol would be considered alcoholic. You can take a screening test at the following site:

Many people will use alcohol to try to "self medicate" to dull the emotional pain that they are feeling. You may find the following link for Alanon to be helpful in offering support for family members of those who have drinking problems:

One of the hallmarks of addiction is to deny that there is a problem and to avoid taking responsibility. Meetings can also be helpful to get support from others who have been in your shoes.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if I can help further.