Mina, Clinical Psychologist
Experience:  Working as a Highly Specialist Clinical Psychologist in NHS. Experience in both children and adults

Would saying in a job interview when asked about a personal

Would saying in a job interview when asked about a personal weakness that I am a passive person If the job was a labourous Industrial type job?
Hello and thank you for contacting us.

Regardless of the nature of the job, I would say that someone describing themselves as passive would indicate a possible lack of initiative, lack of energy and possibly lack of motivation. Therefore, I would suggest that describing yourself as passive may not be the best thing for you to do in the future. Obviously, whether you get the job or not does not only depend on this one answer. If you have shown motivation in other answers and have given an overall good presentation then this may not count as much.

Interview questions around weaknesses are very common and although you may want to be truthful, you also need to remember that employers also want to see how well you can "sell" yourself. So next time, you could possibly consider as a weakness a personality trait that it can be both bad and good such as "I can be overly optimistic at times" or " If I am exited about a job I sometimes overwork and find it difficult to keep a balanced work-life".

I know that it may sound as that you are cheating but the truth is that interviews are all about presentation.

I would encourage you to go on line and search many websites that have tips for interviews and general advice.

All the best for you and good luck!