Howard
Howard, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  I have worked 6 years with adolescents with behavioral issues, especially addictions.
50723258

my wife is having a nervous breakdown how can i help

Customer Question

my wife is having a nervous breakdown how can i help?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr John B replied 4 years ago.
Hi. Can you be a bit more specific? What symptoms is she experiencing? What is the situation?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We have been married for 11 years now she has been married before which she says gave her a breakdown, she was married to a right scum bag, she said he focred her to have sex with her and was down right horable to her, before that her mum and dad would fight and she said her dad would hit her and her mum and so she started to self harm, she thought that was what married life was about! I meet her when she was married still but we fell in love and got married bait later, we have two girls now 10 and 7 whichwe love to bits, she has ms now Which is under control at the minute , I made some cock ups lately taking her for granted, but now she says I'm as bad as every one else and she don't know if she can forgive me and if the kids was not about she would have walking out, she now says she knows she is having/ had a new breakdown and she says she still loves me but she don't know if she can forgive me, I don't know where to turn now, I'm giving her all the time she needs and I've changed so much for her but she says she don't care at minute, I can't tell any one in the family as she don't wish for them to know any of it as she's hid it all from them over the years, thxs that got it off my chest! Stef
Expert:  Dr John B replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the extra information. Sorry to hear of your situation. Are you able to explain what you mean by 'nervous breakdown'? To your knowledge has she been experiencing any specific psychiatric symptoms? Anxiety? Depression?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No none this came as a shot in the dark! One min I thought she loved me next think I know this and she said this! I know she's got alot on her plate at work and tonite she said it's been building up for over a year with me but I did not see it coming,
Expert:  Dr John B replied 4 years ago.
Thanks again for the extra information. This sounds like more of a relationship counseling question than a mental health question so I am going to opt out and open the question up to other experts who specialize in this area. Best of luck!
Expert:  Howard replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I'm Howard
Is your wife receiving counseling?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no she says its aload or rubbish! and not for her, im stuck now not knowning where i am or who to talk to as she also said she dont wants talk about it its to late
Expert:  Howard replied 4 years ago.
It sounds as though you are in a very difficult situation. I think that your wife definitely needs to see someone, and as Dr. John stated, you both would benefit from relationship counseling. It appears however that she is not likely to attend either. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is this, she is unwilling to help herself or the relationship, and you admittedly have had some cock ups that haven't helped things either. So, with out getting help about all you can do is validate her concerns, express your love for her verbally and through your actions, and apologize where necessary then hope it gets better. The only other option is ending the relationship.