Sarah
Sarah, Psychologist
Experience:  Chart'd Psych, 12 yrs exp. English prisons, Clinical Hypnotherapist, EMDR Therapist, BPS, HPC reg'd.
24585293

My ex wife had used about 6 aliases in conducting her illegal

Customer Question

My ex wife had used about 6 aliases in conducting her illegal affairs, one of which is embezzling funds from our corporate bank account. She is to have a hearing where the state of Tennessee is conducting a open court session to determine fitness as a nurse practitioner. In preparation for that hearing I am trying to look up the profile of someone who uses aliases. She always uses them in her daily affairs depending on who she is attempting to avoid:

What type of person uses an alias.
Is this a crime?

Let me know as much as possible about this topic and I am happy if you send me to website or library to research the topic.

(Edited by Moderator)
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

http://www.mentalhealth.com/dis/p20-pe04.html

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

http://etd.auburn.edu/etd/bitstream/handle/10415/360/EVERETT_DAVID_59.pdf?sequence=1

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

In the DSM IV --- The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of the American Psychiatric Association this disorder is called Antisocial Personality Disorder.

Customer :

Hello MR. Olsen, How can you help me today?

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

If you read what is in some of these links you will understand very well what this disorder is about. And to answer your question --- you bet what she is doing is a crime.

Customer :

Hello Shirley: How can you help me today?

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

You need to understand that your ex-wife is a psychopath. You are not to ever trust someone who uses aliases.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Please take a little time to read some of the web sites that I have sent. You will learn all about her character --- as if you don't know it already.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

After you have read some of what's there we'll chat again.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

But before you do, what other question do you have -- you've asked for websites and you have asked whether your ex-wife's behaviour is a crime. I've answered that. So tell me what else you want to know.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

You there?

Expert:  Sarah replied 3 years ago.
Hi Customer,

I would like to make a comment on the above information that you have been given. Whilst a psychopath would almost certainly use aliases in their life to dupe and manipulate other people, it is by no means true that all individuals who use an alias are therefore psychopathic. In order to make a diagnosis of psychopathy, it is necessary to interview the person for a long time, perhaps over two or three sessions in order to check out controversies and consistencies, and to check as much information about them as possible from school, medical and work reports.

Other reasons why someone may use aliases may be for greed, enjoyment of the complications that it creates, or maybe it started very small and became something very big and then successful, that she was then unwilling to give up. It could be part of a personality disorder, but not necessarily psychopathic. Her motivations would be interesting to understand - obviously financial benefits are one for her. We continue to do behaviours that are beneficial to us, sometimes despite the risk - past behaviour is a predictor of future behaviour, so once she has done it successfully on one occasion, the chances a she would do it again. If that was also successful with big incentives and payoffs, then it is likely to be repeated again.

Please feel free to respond. my main point is that it is possible for your wife to be psychopathic, but not necessarily so given the small amount of information available to us.

Best Wishes, Sarah
I disagree with Sarah. You mentioned that and I quote:

My ex wife had used about 6 aliases in conducting her illegal affairs, one of which is embezzling funds from our corporate bank account. She is to have a hearing where the state of Tennessee is conducting a open court session to determine fitness as a nurse practitioner. In preparation for that hearing I am trying to look up the profile of someone who uses aliases. She always uses them in her daily affairs depending on who she is attempting to avoid: What type of person uses an alias. Is this a crime? Let me know as much as possible about this topic and I am happy if you send me to website or library to research the topic. (Edited by Moderator)

Notice what you have written. She uses aliases in conducting illegal affairs,for embezzling funds, and in her daily affairs depending on whom she wants to avoid.
Sarah is not reading carefully. Of course, there are people who use aliases when for example publishing a book, etc. So, of course not all people who use aliases are criminals.You distinctly mentioned that she uses aliases to conduct illegal affairs. If she is conducting illegal affairs that is a crime in our country. Do read the web sites. Note also the level of training that I have and the level of training that Sarah has. Again --- conducting illegal affairs is a crime. Someone who is not an Antisocial personality does not use aliases to conduct a crime.

Edited by Maria-Moderator on 10/14/2010 at 7:53 PM EST
Expert:  Sarah replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,

I'm not saying that it's OK to use aliases, of course it can mean that they are committing a crime, but not always (for clarification, the question was 'who uses aliases?' and 'is this a crime'?) and in this case there is no doubt that embezzlement is against the law. And the traits that you mention are all good evidence towards being diagnosed as a psychopath - divorced, aliases, embezzlement, open court to determine fitness to be a nurse (suggests there may be some further evidence here, but there is no concrete evidence without access to the details) - but they are absolutely by no means sufficient to base a diagnosis upon. Have a look at the Darkstone website for the diagnosis of psychopaths by Robert Hare, the founder of the Hare Psychopathy Checklist - Revised, (PCL-R) and see for yourself the scoring system that a person has to score very highly on, on an amalgamation of 20 different traits (which include information collected about deceit, manipulation, lying and aliases) but what I would like you to appreciate is that there is a wealth of other information that a person has to clang high in order to be given the diagnosis psychopath, particularly by a doctor on a help website. the enormity of what this means is huge and yet there is only 10 lines or so of information to base this upon. Is she cruel, cold, calculated, emotionally flat, unable to use words such as happy, contented, sad in a genuine way, was she booted out of school, lost many jobs, moved house many times without making friends or roots? Is she sexually promiscuous, did she have several partners from a very young age, and/or whilst married to you? Does she care about nobody or nothing? Does she feel remorse or guilt for terrible things that she has done? Was she cruel to animals as a child? You must also assess for contra-indications to psychopathic traits - can she care for people? (training as a nurse is not what you would expect from a psychopath, but its possible if it has ulterior motives), she married you - so that would also be a contra-indication unless it was for other benefits; does she care for, or love any children or pets? This simply doesnt happen if the person is a psychopath. Can she tell you best day and the worst day of her life? Again, if she has any understanding of what these questions actually mean, that is contraindicatory for psychopathic traits. If you can say yes to many of these questions than we are on the way to a diagnosis of psychopath. I don't ask these questions for you to answer, simply to show you how much more there is to consider in such a diagnosis. Someone can show psychopathic traits, and it certainly sounds like your ex wife may fall into that category, we would need much more evidence to know for sure. Please be sure that I talk only on this website about things that I know about and am trained in, I have trained with Darkstone and have assessed many people on the PCL-R in English prisons, diagnosing non-psychopaths, borderline psychopaths ( note that the cut off scores for England and America differ) and high scoring psychopaths, who are indeed very interesting but extremely dangerous people. I apologise for turning your question into a bit of a professional sparring ring, but my concern lies in that you are on dangerous ground if you use such a diagnosis from a website without detailed assessment, particularly if you intend to take it to court. The answers to your question are as I said, it's not always illegal to use an alias, in this instance it is. It is possible that a person who uses aliases could be diagnosed as psychopathic, or to have psychopathic traits, but not necessarily and a professional assessment is always necessary, not a few lines on an Internet help line, no matter how good that site is. I think you will find that if you read the small print, diagnoses are not allowed on this site anyway and the statement 'you have to understand that your ex wife is a psychopath' does not leave much room for interpretation. I do hope this is useful. Best Wishes, Sarah
Expert:  Sarah replied 3 years ago.

Try this site for more information -http://www.hare.org/training/. If you can get a copy of Robert Hare's book 'without conscience' it is a fabulous read and very easy to learn what being a psychopath is really all about. Remember, not all psychopaths are criminal, there are many people who would score highly on a psychopathic assessment who use their hard, cold callous nature to become very successful in business (but they would still need to have the psychopathic history) Are they happy? It wouldn't be an issue because they don't have an emotional understanding of what happy is. Its a very simple and easy mistake to make to put using aliases together with a bit more information and to come up with the diagnosis of psychopath - we have to be very careful not to do this and I hope you can see that it's not that simple. I wish you the very best with this, Sarah

Edited by Sarah on 10/15/2010 at 8:05 AM EST
If your wife's behaviour isn't criminal, frankly, I don't know what is. Let's then see what the courts think.
Expert:  Sarah replied 3 years ago.
Dr Shaye, The courts will clearly find embezzlement a criminal behaviour. My answer clearly states that using an alias on its own is not a criminal act. It depends what it is used for. It's like saying 'is riding a bike a crime'? You need more information to answer this question - if you have the permission of the owner to ride the bike, then no, it's not a crime, but if it has been stolen, then yes, it becomes criminal to ride the bike. That's the point I am trying to make. If someone goes out in the evening and sleeps with someone they meet, they may give a false name to protect their identity, but this doesn't make it a criminal act to give a false name. If a policeman asks for your name and you give a false name, or you use it for gain or forge a signature, then of course it is criminal. Yes, this lady has used aliases for criminal acts and therefore she has broken the law. If the question is, is it a crime to use an alias? Then the answer is no. Is it a crime in this circumstance, yes, very much so.

Edited by Sarah on 10/18/2010 at 7:45 PM EST
Sarah, Psychologist
Experience: Chart'd Psych, 12 yrs exp. English prisons, Clinical Hypnotherapist, EMDR Therapist, BPS, HPC reg'd.
The doctor asked in reference to his ex-wife --- not a generality ---and I quote " What type of person uses an alias. Is this a crime?" This he asked in reference to what his wife did. I clearly stated that if someone uses an alias, e.g., to write a book, that that is not a crime. My answer was SPECIFICALLY answering this doctor about his wife's behaviour and how she uses aliases. The way she uses aliases is a crime.