Lori Gephart
Lori Gephart, Licensed Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist and Hypnotherapist 20 years of experience helping clients of all ages.
45699345

Ive been dealing with sever anxiety/ocd/hypochodriasis since

I've been dealing with sever anxiety/ocd/hypochodriasis since I was in my mid 20's. I used klonopin, valium, xanax, nuerontin,serequel and many ssri's as well as Luvox which worked well for a while but then lost it's bite. The benzos lose there affecto over time because I have to keep upping the dose. I constantly believe there is something seriouly wrong ..worst case senerio and become completely bed bound...i don't want to end up this wa and don't know what to do.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lori Gephart replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing. You mentioned that you have tried multiple medications, however, I wonder if you have also worked with a psychologist in psychotherapy. Without psychotherapy, medications alone will not completely address your symptoms. Finding a psychologist to meet with you on a weekly basis to work on learning tools and techniques to address your disorders is crucial to your recovery. You may find the following website helpful: http://www.helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_types_symptoms_treatment.htm

You are not alone with these symptoms, millions of people (an estimated 15% of the population) suffer from devastating and constant anxiety that severely affects their lives, sometimes resulting in living in highly restricted ways. These people experience panic attacks, phobias, extreme shyness, obsessive thoughts, and compulsive behaviors. The feeling of anxiety is a constant and dominating force that disrupts their lives. Some become prisoners in their own homes, unable to leave the home, work, drive, or visit the grocery store. For these people, anxiety is much more than just an occasional wave of apprehension.

One of the first things you can do to help with how you are feeling is to begin eating healthy and regular meals. If you have little appetite, you can focus on small frequent meals including protein in each one. If the body is not being fed on a regular basis it can prevent the ability to think clearly, concentrate and make decisions. Exercise is also very helpful in improving mood. Writing can be very helpful to put things into balance - whether it is in the form of just writing whatever comes to mind, or listing the issues and small steps to work on them. Seeking support from caring people in your life can also be helpful.

I hope this answer is helpful. Please let me know if I can clarify further.