Sarah
Sarah, Psychologist
Experience:  Chart'd Psych, 12 yrs exp. English prisons, Clinical Hypnotherapist, EMDR Therapist, BPS, HPC reg'd.
24585293

i have a real problem eating in front of people i get so nervous

i have a real problem eating in front of people i get so nervous my mouth goes dry and i can't eat anything its a real problem any suggestions
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kelley replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Kelley :

Hi,'

Kelley :

I see that you are taking Saint John's Wart, do you feel you have depression? How long has this eating issue been going on? Can you eat when you are in private?

Customer :

hi i have no problems eating in private or in front of my partner or children, the problems start when i go out or people come to ours to eat i think it is nerves as i get a dry throat and feel i am going to gag and can not eat any more ,

Expert:  Sarah replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,

It's really possible that you have had an incident in front of people when you have been eating that has brought about a negative feeling such as anxiety or embarrassment. A belief about this has probably become lodged in your subconscious mind, and although we tend to process anxiety away during REM (rapid eye movement) sleep naturally at night, but if the situation was very highly emotional, it sometimes remains lodged. It could have been there silently for years and years, you may have choked, been sick or similar when you were a child. I suggest that you see an EMDR therapist, which stands for eye movement desensitisation and reprocessing. This is a wonderful therapy for several reasons, the first being that all of the work takes place in the subconscious mind; the second is that you don't need to conscious remember why this may have come about, because the answer is truly in your subconscious mind. An EMDR therapist will guide you through every step of the way. Have a look on www.emdria.com for more information about EMDR and a therapist local to you if you are interested. You will see that this is a trauma therapy but please don't be put off by that - it needn't be a huge trauma, like I say, you needn't even be able to recall it - sometimes a child misinterprets something that they hear and they take it very seriously, for example I heard of a child who wouldn't eat because he overheard someone say that they had eaten too much and was going to burst. I do think that your issue may be more to do with something that happened though - it's simply not helpful for me to guess. This does take a few sessions, but it's not supposed to be a long term therapy. I do hope this helpful to you.
Sarah, Psychologist
Experience: Chart'd Psych, 12 yrs exp. English prisons, Clinical Hypnotherapist, EMDR Therapist, BPS, HPC reg'd.