Sarah
Sarah, Psychologist
Experience:  Chart'd Psych, 12 yrs exp. English prisons, Clinical Hypnotherapist, EMDR Therapist, BPS, HPC reg'd.
24585293

What can I do about Agoraphobia I am having

What can I do about Agoraphobia I am having?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Ed Wilfong :

a combination of medications and Cognitive behavioral therapy is most effective.

Customer :

What can I , Me, do concerning agoraphobia I experience?

Expert:  Sarah replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,

I have to agree with my colleague that therapy ands meds is the usual way to improve your ability to improve. But if you wish to do things yourself, without professional assistance, I am willing to help you put some simple strategies together that you can try yourself. Please can you tell me about some of the typical behaviours that you would like to improve? I understand that you have agoraphobia, but I need to know how this affects you personally. Thanks, Sarah
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I never want to leave the apartment anymore. The feelings are overwhelming. I have medication but I need a daily strategy and I am uncertain how to go about this...Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I need some type of daily strategy to overcome this...Also I notice you do EMDR. Can that be done on line?

Expert:  Sarah replied 4 years ago.
To be honest, EMDR would be my treatment of choice for you, but it's not something you can do alone. You can perhaps find someone on www.mentaline.com to do it with you. This is a new website that offers therapy from professionals to those who prefer to do therapy on line, perfect for yourself in that you wouldn't need to leave the house to receive it. However, in order for you to get better, you will need to leave the house at some point and having therapy on line doesn't encourage you to get out and about. Maybe you could start with someone on line and then try and get out and about yourself, and report back to them during your sessions. If your main reason for wanting to do therapy alone is the 'going out' to meet a therapist as opposed to financial reasons, I would definitely give this a try. Doing therapy yourself would be very difficult as you wouldn't have the support. I would be suggesting that you leave the house a little more every day, even if it's only opening the door to start with. You could use a technique called EFT (emotional freedom technique) to help release the emotions. This is a tapping technique that ace done on the meridian points on the body. But it would be a great big hill to climb yourself and the therapy on line could be best for you. how does that sound? Please share your thoughts .... Sarah
Sarah, Psychologist
Experience: Chart'd Psych, 12 yrs exp. English prisons, Clinical Hypnotherapist, EMDR Therapist, BPS, HPC reg'd.