Sarah
Sarah, Psychologist
Experience:  Chart'd Psych, 12 yrs exp. English prisons, Clinical Hypnotherapist, EMDR Therapist, BPS, HPC reg'd.

I have thoughts coming into my head that I cannot shift. They

I have thoughts coming into my head that I cannot shift. They usually involve myself or someone close to me dying. I will sit and imagine my own funeral, who attends, what their reactions are etc. Or I will sit and imagine someone close to me dying. I will imagine the police coming to my house, how I react, the funeral etc. When they come into my head I cannot shift them. I Have spent most of my adult life being treated off and on for depression. What is going on, is this more than depression?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am sorry to hear what you are feeling. No this is depression. Are you still on medication? You should be on medication and seek out a therapist.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

I see you are offline. I'll check back later to see if you are online.

Customer :

Hi

Customer :

Yes I am on fluoxetine at the moment

Expert:  Sarah replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,

I see that Doctor Shaye has asked if you are on meds and you have stated that you take fluoxetine. Can I ask you, have you experienced any deaths in your life of people who were close to you? Of friends or family? Have you witnessed an accident in which there was a death or a near death? I am asking these questions as it is possible that you are having intrusive thoughts as part of traumatic stress. Happy to tell you more if you feel this may be relevant. Best Wishes, Sarah
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No I haven't experienced any deaths. I did experience severe trauma as I child. Sometimes I feel as if I am going mad. If I am not in the depths of depression, I am behaving impulsively and have outbursts of angry which I can't control.
Expert:  Sarah replied 3 years ago.
Ok, thanks for that information. Did you ever receive therapy for your trauma? I am happy to expand more if you would like to know about recommended therapies for trauma, as the effects tend to get stronger over time, rather than less.

Edited by Sarah on 10/5/2010 at 6:39 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No I haven't had therapy
Expert:  Sarah replied 3 years ago.
The recommended treatment by NICE (National Institute of Clinical Excellence) for trauma in the UK is EMDR. This stands for eye movement desensitisation and reprocessing. When we experience highly emotional situations, the subconscious mind can absorb beliefs about the world, that we often do not know we are carrying, but that can have a stronger and stronger effect on our life as time goes by. It's as if the subconscious mind wants to be heard and it shouts louder and louder over time in order for us to hear it. So from the severe trauma that you experienced as a child, you may well have absorbed some kind of message into your subconscious mind. It is important to mention that the subconscious mind's role in life is to protect us, so it is possible that your fantasies about death are interlinked with this - perhaps that someones death would relieve you of the trauma that you were going through at the time. It is not useful fro me to guess what your absorbed belief may have been, because it will be very personal to you and will emerge during therapy if you choose to take EMDR forward. I will use a different example to explain how it works - let's say that a child knows his mummy is on a certain plane that day and he sees a plane crash on the TV. His emotional response to these two things together may be that 'aeroplanes are dangerous'. He may not know that he has absorbed this belief until 20 years later when he tries to board a plane and experiences panic. Over time, this reaction may spread to other triggers of the memory, such as hearing about planes, hearing planes in the sky, until it affects his life so much that he seeks therapy for his reactions. If he had not tried to board a plane, he may never have known about this belief lodged his mind. So there will be triggers for your uncontrollable anger and your impulsivity, even if you aren't sure what they are. They are strong because they appear to be irrational, coming from no-where with apparently no logic or reason. Now normally, when we sleep, we process away stress during REM rapid eye movement sleep, and let the emotional stuff go. But when the trauma is too reattach, the brain struggles to process it and this can cause nightmares and waking in the night (if you wake form a dream in REM state, you tend to be able to recall it, sometimes causing more distress). EMDR therapy simulates the process of REM in the therapy situation, controlled and where the therapist can help you to control your emotions, so that it doesn't runaway with you. The beauty of EMDR is that although it can be emotional, where you revisit at least part of the trauma in your mind, you don't need to speak about the trauma and it should be the last time that you experience the emotions, because they will be let go of. There rare no guarantees with therapy, but the effect from this can be amazing. Have a look on www.emdria.com for more information and to find a therapist near to you. I do hope this is helpful and that you find some inner peace. please let me know of you need further info, or please press accept if you think my advice has been valuable. Best Wishes, Sarah
Sarah, Psychologist
Experience: Chart'd Psych, 12 yrs exp. English prisons, Clinical Hypnotherapist, EMDR Therapist, BPS, HPC reg'd.
Hi, I am back online. I am sorry to hear about the trauma that you have experienced in childhood. As I already mentioned I think therapy would help. When there is childhood trauma you would be best off with someone who has postgraduate training in psychoanalysis. Psychoanalyically oriented Therapy is performed by people with this post graduate education. People who have this training are able to dig deep into your past and see what in your past is being recreated in your present day life. Anyone who does not have this intensive training does not have the skills to perform this kind of treatment. The training is anywhere from 6 - 10 years post masters, Phd, or MD. The therapist should be a member of the IPA which is headquartered in London but which is an international organization. I'd be very glad to help you find someone who has these credentials.
Please let me know exactly where in the UK you live with zip code so that I may help you find someone near you.