Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN
Experience:  35 years experience counseling children and families
37122071

Im experiencing intense sxs of anxiety, after it has been

I'm experiencing intense sxs of anxiety, after it has been dormant for 8 years. Back then the sxs lasted for 2 yrs, until meds and therapy helped. I've been on the same basic med. since; prozac. Is it possible it is no longer effective?
Yes it is definitely possible that the current dose of Prozac is no longer working. Let the prescribing MD know and the dose can be increased or the medication changed. It is not unusual for a change to be needed after several years. I am also wondering if adding some short term therapy would also help.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do you think I need a further eval. of the dizziness, extreme fatigue and feelings of derealization? Or are these just sxs of my anxiety?
It is the fact that you are coping by sleeping that is worrisome and could be depression. Dizziness, fatigue and derealization can be symptoms of anxiety. Given all this information, I would definitely recommend that a psychiatrist evaluate the symptoms and prescribe the correct medications. There are so many new medications since 8 years ago.

In addition, seriously consider the therapy for awhile.