Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

My husband & i have grown apart both sexually & emotionally,thekids

Customer Question

My husband & i have grown apart both sexually & emotionally,thekids are adults now
We have nothing in common our marriage has become very destructive is it to late to work things out
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am sorry to hear your situation. Let me ask you a question before I offer an answer. When did this start?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I think the sexual problems have been there since having children & not spending any time together as a couple or attending to each others needs as a result we have grown apart
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the info. I will work on my answer. Please wait.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I do not know how to start rebuilding our marriage

We do not spend any time together

Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hi there, thanks for your information. Things often change after having children for a couple. We all take responsibilities for our children in addition to work for the family. I am not certain how long you two have been apart in terms of pleasurable activities. If two of you are willing to rework on your marriage, it is possible to do so. You may start communicating with your husband that you want to work on your marriage/relationship with him again. If he is open, two of you can start discussing that or get professional help. Two of you can see a marriage and couple therapist to verbalize and clarify your needs/wants and process your feelings and thoughts - that's a good start and also promote intimacy between you and him. So my answer is YES. You two can rebuild your marriage even now. Please let me know if I have overlooked any or you have more questions.

Edited by Dr. Olsen on 10/2/2010 at 6:07 AM EST