Dr. S
Dr. S, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Attending Psychiatrist

Im on sonata(20mg) for insomnia....its not really working

I'm on sonata(20mg) for insomnia....its not really working for me, I still have racing thoughts through my mind when I'm trying to relax at night, should I increase my dosage, or as my psychiatrist to switch me to a different drug?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. S replied 6 years ago.
Hi I am a psychiatrist and can help. Can you tell me whether your difficulty is in falling asleep or staying asleep?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i am having difficulty falling asleep
Expert:  Dr. S replied 6 years ago.
I am sorry for your difficulty. so to answer your question. The recommended maximum dose of sonata is 20mg. Therefore you are already at the maximum dose and i would agree with your psychiatrist that switching would be a better idea than pushing passed the max. Since you mentioned that you have difficulty initiating sleep, Ambien would be a good option. Dose is 10mg. There is also ambien CR, which is time released and suppose to aid with staying asleep as well. In addition, if you have other symptoms, such as depression, a sedative antidepressant such as Trazadone would be a good option. Please discuss these recommendations with your psychiatrist. I hope this helps. Please click the ACCEPT button as this is the only way i will be credited for my answer. Thank you and good luck! -Dr. S