Pamela, LCSW
Pamela, LCSW, Psychotherapist/MSW
Experience:  25 years of experience in private practice and inpatient psychiatry;licensed in two states
20091856

Have seen a psycologist in the past for depression,that was

Have seen a psycologist in the past for depression,that was 7 yrs ago , seemed to be doing much better then about a yr ago started to withdraw deeper into myself . is effecting family and social life, just keep wanting to be alone . feel time to talk again to someone , family say it is best to talk to them, your thought? have been on paxil way to longby the way would like to get back to who I was without paxil or a drink. any advice would be great. Still feel as though I need to talk.
Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer:

I am sorry that you are starting to feel like you are slipping into depression again.
Isolating yourself and withdrawing deeper into yourself are definitely signs of a re-occuring depression. Relapse in people diagnosed with depression is very common. It is also common for ssri antidepressants, like paxil, to lose their effectiveness over time.
I think that if you found it helpful in the past to talk to someone like a psychotherapist, then it is a good idea to try that again. It may not have to be long term, sometimes people see their therapist for maintenance sessions just to check in.
It might be time to change or add something to your paxil. If you do decide to stop it, please be careful as the withdrawal from paxil can be difficult. Be sure to discuss this with your prescriber so that you wean off or change safely.
I can understand that you would like to feel like you without medication or alcohol. This may be possible at some time, but, now is probably not the time as you feel yourself getting worse.
I hope this is helpful and that your family will support you in getting the help you need.

Thank you,

Please press accept so that your expert will receive credit for this response. Positive feedback is much appreciated.

Thank you,