Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
46062601

My 3 1/2 year old receives a sticker at preschool every day

Customer Question

My 3 1/2 year old receives a sticker at preschool every day that she behaves. When she doesn't listen to her teacher, no sticker. On those days, I do not allow her to watch any television at night. Some family members recently confronted me saying that she is being punished twice and the punishment is too much for her age, while her teacher thanks me for backing her up and giving her consequences. I think I am doing the right thing.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. If your punishment is removal of privilege such as favorite toys or books, I would agree that the punishment is a little much. But no television sounds a good thing and good punishment to children of her age. Reading books, playing with toys, and talking to parents may be more meaningful and more educational for your child. I support your punishment. Please let me know if I have overlooked any or you have more questions. Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience: PsyD Psychologist
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That makes me feel a lot better:) Thank you. I worry so much about being a good mom and teaching her to be a functional adult.
Expert:  Sarah replied 6 years ago.
I know you have accepted another answer, no need to pay me, but if you buy the book 'what to expect, the toddler years' it's fabulous. You can buy it on eBay or Amazon for not a lot and it has answers to every question you can imagine, and then some. I am pretty sure it goes beyond age three and a half, but check before you buy it. It tells you what to expect at each stage of development, and how to best interact and discipline. It was my bible. Best wIshes, Sarah
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it and your time!
Expert:  Sarah replied 6 years ago.
No problems!