Dr. K
Dr. K, Psychiatrist
Experience:  15 years clinical experience in all areas of psychiatry. Holistic and practical approach.

I was in an extremely stressful environment the last four years

Customer Question

I was in an extremely stressful environment the last four years living out of the country in a remote location. When I returned my adrenals were fatigued and my cortisol levels low. I have also been diagnosed with PTSD. I have spent 8 months resting and trying to deal with it and feel better but every now and then the panic (heart rate, palpitations, dizziness) rises again. I am heading back to the location to close up and say goodbye. A counselor suggested I go with an anti-anxiety medicine. Which one would you recommend?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. K replied 6 years ago.

If you have never tried anything and don't know if anyone in your family has success with a medicine for a similar problem, I might start with sertraline (zoloft) since this can treat panic and PTSD. It will take up to 4 weeks for the full effect and is not an addictive medicine.

If you don't have a history of addiction in you or your family medicines like lorazepam or clonazepam will bring more immediately relief...but use with extreme caution.

Double check with your doctor to make sure it will be safe for you. Let me know if you need more help.

Please don't forget to hit the ACCEPT button & provide expert feedback.