How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Howard Your Own Question
Howard, Mental Health Professional
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 181
Experience:  I have worked 6 years with adolescents with behavioral issues, especially addictions.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Howard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is 17-years-old and has always been a good kid. Recently,

Customer Question

My son is 17-years-old and has always been a good kid. Recently, I caught him using drugs (marijuana) and I gave him a chance because he promised me he would no longer do it and wanted to set a good example for his 2 younger sisters. I grounded him and took away some of his privileges. He is now mad at me and is living with his maternal grand parents. He states he wants nothing to do with me and that he hates me. His father has never been in the picture and he wants to see his father now. I let him see his father and he throws it in my face that he wants to live with him. In a way, I'd like his father to be responsible and spend time with his son, but I know he won't set boundaries and let him do what he wants and I'm afraid I may lose him. Is he lost to me? Will he ever change his mind and want to be part of my life again? How can I help him get out of this problem and have him be my son again? What kind of help will he need so that he feels he can be part of my life and not hate me?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Howard replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Howard :

You need to take him into your local county A&D program, while he is still 17, and get an alcohol and drug assessment completed. I know it won't be the most popular decision, but if you don't show that you are the one in charge, and nip this in the bud, it will only get worse. Bring him back home, if he runs, then the law, and or social services will get involved, which will be a good thing as they can force him into treatment. You can't let him dictate where he is going to live, and what he is going to do, otherwise, you will become his emotional hostage.

JACUSTOMER-vowbe26g- :

We don't have a local county A&D program and I don't have money to take to a place like that.