Dr. S
Dr. S, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Attending Psychiatrist
50649187

Hi, My name is Lauren and I am 28 years old. I am taking 80mg of Prozac once a day

Customer Question

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am 28 years old. I am taking 80mg of Prozac once a day and I know that I have to be on this medication. I want to have a baby so badly but I am terrified of what the medication will do to the baby. Does anyone have an opinion on this?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. S replied 3 years ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Dr. S replied 3 years ago.
Hi I am a psychiatrist and can help. So this is a common dilemma.  If you don't take proper care of depression during pregnancy, you may put your health and that of your baby's at risk. If you're depressed, you may not have the energy to take good care of yourself. You may not seek optimal prenatal care or eat the healthy foods your baby needs to thrive. You may begin to have suicidal thoughts. In addition, in terms of your baby, the price of untreated depression may be high, including premature birth, low birth weight, developmental problems and an increased risk of postpartum depression.  In terms of antidepressants, overall, the risk of birth defects and other problems for babies of mothers who take antidepressants during pregnancy is low. That being said there are pretty much only a few medications that have been proved absolutely safe.  Some antidepressants have been associated with health problems in babies.

In terms of Prozac, this is usually one of the recommended choices when antidepressants are deemed a must. HIm terms of risks, it has been associated with PPHN (persistent pulmonary hypertension) when taken during the last half of the pregnancy.  This is a decision that should weigh the pros and cons for both you and the baby.  This is not a decision you should make without consultation by both your obgyn and psychiatrist.  I recommend specifically a psychiatrist who specializes in maternal health.  Your obgyn should be able to recommend someone.  I hope this helps.  Please click the ACCEPT button as this is the only way I will be credited for my answer.