Dr. Michael
Dr. Michael, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Ph.D. Clinical Health Psychology with 30 years of experience in private practive and as a clinical psychology university professor.
28397935

When I was younger, about 3yrs old, I was jumping on the bed

When I was younger, about 3yrs old, I was jumping on the bed and hit my head on the head board right on the front of my head. They ended up taking me to the hospital to stitch up the wound. All I remember of the incident was me jumping before and my grandpa try to clean up the wound over the sink afterwards. I don't remember anything else after that.What I do remember is waking up feeling like time had past and I didn't know how I got to that point. I remember that happening twice. This was still before I started preschool. When I was in school my mother said she would struggle to keep my grades up. I remember everyday after school it was like being in school again except with my mom for hours trying to get me to finish homework. It always took me a little longer to understand things on my own and understand. Teachers would tell my mom maybe it was my vision but my vision was fine. I would constantly get bored quickly and daydream I remember teachers often telling me to stop and pay attention. I would almost always be the last person to finish their work. I would also ask to got to the bathroom all the time not because I needed to go but because I just needed to leave. I was also very shy not very social I always had the small group of friends.I was never very confidant I hated reading out loud and to this day still do. [I'm going to have to do a small presention in January at work and i'm already dreading it.] Well back to my school years, in middle school I struggled a lot and was put in those classes to prep before big test. Every year I worried if I would passed. Same thing in high school, the strange thing was that I did understand the work but when it came to test I would barley pass. It was very aggravating. I graduated without a Texas Scholar when everyone else did. So even though I did I graduate I was still disappointed. I've attempted going back to college three times now and I can't ever keep myself motivated to stay. And I'm not even in all college courses yet. When it comes to being at home I have the hardest time staying organized and I think my husband is getting fed up with it. It's kind of like, its not that i don't want to be organized it's that I cant keep my self organized. At the job I'm working at right now they expect me to grow with the company. Not every job really, really expects that but this one does, everyone one there was at a lower level and I'm afraid I wont be able to keep up. I sometimes wonder that if what happened to me as a child is the cause of me being like this. I was always horrible in math, not very social, can't stay focused, forgetful, unorganized and I'm just tired of it. I want to go back to school and not feel from the beginning that I going to fail or just quit. Is there anything wrong with me and how can i fix it, or am I just lazy?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Michael replied 4 years ago.
Hello. I believe I can be of help to you with this issue.

You appear to think the difficulties you have had throughout your life with school and learning situations are related to your head injury at age 3. Not knowing what the extent of the injury was, it is unclear whether there was lasting brain injury. If your recall of events immediately before and after the event are accurate e.g., you recall your grandfather cleaning your head, it would not seem that a broad range of cognitive and intellectual functions were affected; you probably were knocked unconscious for a few seconds to a minute. Did anyone tell you that you were unconscious during this time or that you were diagnosed with a concussion? Were you up and about playing and at school within a few hours of getting stitches?

The pattern of problems you show certainly are worth having evaluated in more detail by a clinical or counseling psychologist who does academic and learning disability assessments. Your story would seem to possibly fit the diagnostic criteria for Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Inattentive subtype. Most children who have this disorder do in fact, have a history of a head injury though the vast majority do not. The area of the brain that is most often discussed as being important to ADHD is the prefrontal cortex, so if you received an injury above the bridge of your nose for example (lower forehead), you may have suffered reduced blood flow in the prefrontal cortex, which has been shown to correlate with severity of ADHD. But again, the vast majority of kids with this disorder have no head injury history.

This disorder is thought by some to be qualitatively different than typical ADHD in terms of things like: 1) far fewer problems with conduct problems, but rather, the child is characterized by being inattentive, daydreaming , being somewhat underactive compared to peers, being described as somewhat passive, apathetic, withdrawn and shy.

So, give your story, it would be well worth being evaluated for possible ADHD-Inattentive subtype. If you were prescribed a trial of medication for this problem, you would know within one day whether it was helping i.e., your thinking would be more focused and organized, your attention would improve.

With regard to your anxiety over your Jan. presentation, you should perhaps get a friend or colleague to help you organize your ideas and sequence the presentation using an outline, then break the task of producing it into small, manageable chunks. Ask for lots of feedback. Start on the project now if you can, and work steadily on it for the next three months. I suspect that after you get the actual presentation outlined, you'll immediately start feeling more confident about creating each part of the presentation.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Let me know if I have overlooked any aspect of your question.
Dr. Michael, Psychologist
Experience: Licensed Ph.D. Clinical Health Psychology with 30 years of experience in private practive and as a clinical psychology university professor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nobody has ever told me what happpened,like if I was unconscious or diagnosed with a concussion? I don't really know much about it except of what I remember and the scare I have from it. I never really thought about ADHD Inattentive subtype. I'm going to look up a counseling psychologist in my area. Thank you so much for your advice on the presentation. Its taken me a really long time to actually see these flaws. You're the first person to have know about what Iv'e been struggling with. You have given me a little relief because there maybe be a way out of this. Thanks so much.
I hope you get some real answers. My very best wishes to you!
Dr. Michael, Psychologist