Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt

My 2 1/2 year old step-daughter has a tendency to grab at her

My 2 1/2 year old step-daughter has a tendency to grab at her crotch. I was not too concerned about that, but tried to teach her not to do that in public. However, her biological mother has just informed my husband that our daughter has started grabbing her 7 month old brother's head and shoving it into her crotch. Apparently, she has tried other similar actions, primarily with her younger brother. The biological mother is trying to blame this on overnight visits with my husband and I and is therefore trying to tell him he should not have overnight visits with her. We have not had an overnight visit in almost a month due to having to be out of town for family emergencies. When we do have her, our daughter sleeps in a room separate from ours. I am concerned as to whether this behavior is "tyipcal" for someone her age and as to whether this is a learned behavior (as her biological mother suggests). Obviously, I am also concerned about where she is learning this, but I know you can not answer that. I will mention though that this is not the first time I have questioned her biological mother's potential for putting her daughter in harmful situations (for example, strapping her into a car seat in the front of the car when there is a back seat and 3 other vechiles available). It is also not the first time I have wondered if I we should be contacting someone at the state to investigate.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 6 years ago.

Good Afternoon,

The behavior is not uncommon for children to show curiosity in their genitalia and that of others. Some children even engage in sexualized play. The behavior can be something that she is mimicking (that is only a speculation)

If her mother is blaming her behavior on the visits at your home, she may have an agenda of her own to be placing this sort of blame. Instead, she should be concerned as to whether or not the behavior was observed by her daughter either on TV, day care, play ground etc.

If there are concerns about the child's safety, it would be best for her bio father to initiate this.