Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist.

A few hours ago I had the wierdest experience of my life.

A few hours ago I had the wierdest experience of my life. My boyfriend of 3 weeks went to bed happy and woke up raging at me over something very minute. His arguments did not make sense. I was so stunned by the overreaction and the rage that I responded very little. He then abruptly broke off the relationship when only hours before when we went to sleep he was very loving. I think he might be bipolar. If so I am very glad I found this out and the relationship ended early. The reaction was so over the top and out of context that it scared me. Do bipolars often wake up angry? (by the way I do think he drinks too much. )
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
Was alcohol or drugs involved? Has he been diagnosed? What was the argument about?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

yes he was drinking the night before. But that is not unusual. He drinks on all our dates. He also drinks by himself nightly. He says he has one cocktail when he gets home from work. On our dates he drinks much more. I dont know if he has been diagnosed. But strangely he has asked me on several occasions if I had a savior complex and other psycho speak questions. He did say he saw a therapist with his deceased wife ten years ago. He knows a LOT about psychology.

He was angry because I stayed up very late packing and preparing several meals for our planned trip today on a 3 day boat excursion, instead of sleeping next to him. He twisted my kind act into some kind of notion that it was strange to be doing that. He kept saying I had a behavioral disorder that I wasnt telling him about and kept over and over asking me to be honest. He was extremely irate and when I left the room he was talking to himself goading himself to get even angrier. I've never ever seen someone do this. I was married for 22 years and am now divorced. I never saw my ex or any other man behave this way. It was like a tantrum, but it was almost like he was trying to convince me that I was crazy. Note that the night before he was thanking me profusely for making these dishes for the voyage.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
First off, good for you for running when you had the chance. it is hard to tell exactly what is going on with him, especially when substances are involved. It could very well be caused by drinking. But it also seems like a flair or psychosis since he was talking to himself and maybe responding more to what was going on in his head that what you actually were doing. He would first need to lay off the alcohol in order to get an accurate assessment of any psychological impairment. All I can say is that he did not act in a rational manner and you did not deserve to be treated that way.