Dr. Michael
Dr. Michael, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Ph.D. Clinical Health Psychology with 30 years of experience in private practive and as a clinical psychology university professor.

My son is 14years old and has been diagnosed with high functioning

My son is 14years old and has been diagnosed with high functioning autism some years ago. His issue is that he cannot distinguish between bullying and the normal teasing that goes on between teenage boys. I am wondering if a phsyco therapist or .... Could help him with strategies to overcome this problem as it is making him extremely unhappy at school. My son is very bright with an above average results at school. We live in Leeds
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Michael replied 6 years ago.
Hello. I believe I can be of help to you with this issue.

You are well aware that you son sees social behavior and verbal communication very literally, concretely and often doesn't understand jokes, teasing and bullying. He doesn't easily transfer social learning from one situation to the next, as other children do.

These problems are not best remedied in individual counseling or therapy, but in specialized social skills training groups designed specifically for persons with high level autism and Asperger's. I am aware of 1 such group in Leeds, but it is for adults. However, you might start locating one for teens and young adults through links such as this one.

This training requires regular attendance and usually occurs across many months and even years, because a tremendous number of social skills, social situations, general and specific rules etc., must be covered. For people with autistic spectrum disorders, there may be more limitations on how well social rules generalize from one situation to another---which is far less a problem for people without this problem.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Please let me know if I have overlooked any aspect of your question.