How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. S Your Own Question
Dr. S
Dr. S, Psychiatrist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 61
Experience:  MD Attending Psychiatrist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. S is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been taking IC Sertraline HCL 50MG since my son passed

Resolved Question:

I have been taking IC Sertraline HCL 50MG since my son passed away 2 years ago.
I'm thinking on going off it because I'm not sure if it is working because I am very
seldom happy but I have no thoughts of suicide. Can I just go off it or do I need to
weene off of it?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. S replied 6 years ago.
Hi I am a psychiatrist and I can help. I am sorry to hear of your story, My condolences. Could you please tell me your symptoms so that I can best assist you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't see a reply from you. What other info. do you need
Expert:  Dr. S replied 6 years ago.

I was asking about your current symptoms, but I can answer your question generally. So in terms of your question,  technically you should be able to go off  sertraline at that dose.  If you do choose to go off, I would however recommend cutting the pills in half and taking that for an additional 7 days prior to stopping since you've been on it for a while.  

That being said, the starting dose of sertraline is around 25-50mg daily whereas an average effective treating dose is between 100mg - 200mg daily. As such you have considerable room to go up.  There are other alternative medications that you could try.  If you are not already, I would recommend a full evaluation by a psychiatrist or psychologist who could discuss a differential diagnosis based on the symptoms being experienced.  A highly-trained professional who knows your particular situation can help you decide what steps are best for you, whether it be medications or therapy.  Therapy in this situation or the combination of therapy and medications have been shown to be very effective in alleviating depressive symptoms.  You can ask your general physician for a referral or talk to your insurance company for a recommendation of a psychiatrist/therapist in your area.  I could also help you find one if you tell me your general area.  I hope this was helpful.  Please click ACCEPT, if satisfied, as that is the only way I will be credited for my answer. If not, please REPLY for more info. Feedback is also welcomed and appreciated.  Good luck!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
IThank you. Is the cost $22 if I accept?
Expert:  Dr. S replied 6 years ago.
You are very welcome. Yes that is the cost. Good luck!
Dr. S and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you