Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
46062601

hi there, Im a 30 year old man, and i heard a program on

hi there,

I'm a 30 year old man, and i heard a program on the radio about ADD/ADHD. I have a history of dyslexia, anxiety/depression (I was on Seroxat for 8 years, but have been off it for 3 after a successful course of CBT/positive life changes). I discussed the possibility with my girlfriend who thinks I may suffer from ADD. She's always thought that I was quick witted and bright, but continually nags me about tidiness, organization and lateness and I never seem to be able to break the habits despite running a successful business and the pressure it puts on our relationship.

I'm not a stupid person and have achieved some good things (a good degree form a a good uni. Good A levels, success in music as a drummer - recital cert etc), but I have felt that I struggle with really basic things like routine/ looking after myself (even hygiene sometimes), diet, organisation, lateness and following directions and I suffer from very low self esteem and am constantly worried and stressed. I know it's easy to self diagnose, but is there a way to find out definitively whether I have it or not, and If I do, what I can do about it?

I don't know how reliable this site is, but i have included all the symptoms that I think I have below:

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/adhd_add_adult_symptoms.htm

* “zoning out” without realizing it, even in the middle of a conversation.
* extreme distractibility; wandering attention makes it hard to stay on track.
* difficulty paying attention or focusing, such as when reading or listening to others.
* struggling to complete tasks, even ones that seem simple.
* tendency to overlook details, leading to errors or incomplete work.
* poor listening skills; hard time remembering conversations and following directions.
* poor organizational skills (home, office, desk, or car is extremely messy and cluttered)
* tendency to procrastinate
* trouble starting and finishing projects
* chronic lateness
* frequently forgetting appointments, commitments, and deadlines
* constantly losing or misplacing things (keys, wallet (I;ve lost my cash card 56 times!!!!, phone (10 times?_, documents, bills)
* underestimating the time it will take you to complete tasks

* sense of underachievement (continually feel like this)
* doesn’t deal well with frustration
* easily flustered and stressed out (yes)
* irritability or mood swings (Yes)

* trouble staying motivated
* hypersensitivity to criticism
* short, often explosive, temper
* low self-esteem and sense of insecurity

* feelings of inner restlessness, agitation
* tendency to take risks
* getting bored easily
* racing thoughts

* trouble sitting still; constant fidgeting
* craving for excitement
* talking excessively
* doing a million things at once

Any advice at this stage would be very welcome.

Thank you for your time,

Alistair
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am sorry to hear your situation. If you have ADHD, you likely have depression and anxiety as well. If your condition has to do with Anxiety and Depression, it does not necessarily mean that you have ADD/ADHD.
You may have ADD/ADHD features based on the information. To get an accurate and main diagnosis, you may need to be evaluated by a psychologist who administer ADD/ADHD testing.

For your ADD/ADHD conditions, you may need to work with a therapist and psychiatrist (M.D.) for medication.

Treatment for ADD/ADHD typically consists of Medication/CNS stimulants - Methylphenidate (Ritalin), Cognitive-Behavioral therapy by a psychologist or a psychotherapist, and education about ADD/ADHD.
If your symptoms are interfering your social and occupational functioning, you may need to see a psychiatrist for medication evaluation.
You may need to increase organization in home and work by clearing away distractions from your area, establish a monitoring or tracking system of your routines and tasks. You may need to get resources on ADD/ADHD.

For your resources, check
National Resource Center on AD/HD.
(Website address:
http://www.help4adhd.org/ )
You may call 1-800-233-4050 in the National Resource Center on ADHD.
Please let me know if I have overlooked any or you have a question. Dr. Olsen
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for getting back to me. Your advice is much appreciated

Sounds like I need to see a clinical psch for tests to see whether I just have anxiety/depression or depresion and ADD?ADHD, but i'm based in Englad so the CHADD resource isn't so helpfull. Do you know any resources in the UK?

I'm very anti medication as I had a very bad experience with Seroxat and I don't want to become dependent. Isn't Ritalin mainly for kids who are excessively hyper or does it help with the restlessness? What are the negative side effects of a drug like Ritalin?

Hi there- I noticed you are in the UK now. yes, you may need to see a psychologist who evaluate you for ADHD/ADD testing to get the diagnosis. The side effects of Ritalin (Methyphenidate) include dysphoria, nausea and abdominal pain, decreased appetite, and insomnia. Ritalin is used for both adults and children. But you may need to consult with your doctor as to which drug works for you.

For questions and resources, how to find the specialist, contact

ADDISS
Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN2800/
Fax:(NNN) NNN-NNNN2909/
e-mail:[email protected]/

PO Box 340
Edgware
Middlesex HA8 9HL

Also, go to their sites:(
http://www.addiss.co.uk/)

(http://www.addiss.co.uk/professionalboard.htm)

Let me know if I have overlooked any. Take care. Dr. Olsen

Edited by Dr. Olsen on 10/1/2010 at 5:03 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks a lot, i'll get in touch with ADDISS on Monday

Welcome. Did I answer your question? If so. please click the accept. If not, please let me know. Your satisfaction is important.