I'm a 30 year old man, and i heard a program on the radio about ADD
/ADHD. I have a history of dyslexia
/depression (I was on Seroxat for 8 years, but have been off it for 3 after a successful course of CBT/positive life changes). I discussed the possibility with my girlfriend who thinks I may suffer from ADD. She's always thought that I was quick witted and bright, but continually nags me about tidiness, organization and lateness and I never seem to be able to break the habits despite running a successful business and the pressure it puts on our relationship.
I'm not a stupid person and have achieved some good things (a good degree form a a good uni. Good A levels, success in music as a drummer - recital cert etc), but I have felt that I struggle with really basic things like routine/ looking after myself (even hygiene sometimes), diet, organisation, lateness and following directions and I suffer from very low self esteem and am constantly worried and stressed. I know it's easy to self diagnose, but is there a way to find out definitively whether I have it or not, and If I do, what I can do about it?
I don't know how reliable this site is, but i have included all the symptoms that I think I have below:
* “zoning out” without realizing it, even in the middle of a conversation.
* extreme distractibility; wandering attention makes it hard to stay on track.
* difficulty paying attention or focusing, such as when reading or listening to others.
* struggling to complete tasks, even ones that seem simple.
* tendency to overlook details, leading to errors or incomplete work.
* poor listening skills; hard time remembering conversations and following directions.
* poor organizational skills (home, office, desk, or car is extremely messy and cluttered)
* tendency to procrastinate
* trouble starting and finishing projects
* chronic lateness
* frequently forgetting appointments, commitments, and deadlines
* constantly losing or misplacing things (keys, wallet (I;ve lost my cash card 56 times!!!!, phone (10 times?_, documents, bills)
* underestimating the time it will take you to complete tasks
* sense of underachievement (continually feel like this)
* doesn’t deal well with frustration
* easily flustered and stressed out (yes)
* irritability or mood swings (Yes)
* trouble staying motivated
* hypersensitivity to criticism
* short, often explosive, temper
* low self-esteem and sense of insecurity
* feelings of inner restlessness, agitation
* tendency to take risks
* getting bored easily
* racing thoughts
* trouble sitting still; constant fidgeting
* craving for excitement
* talking excessively
* doing a million things at once
Any advice at this stage would be very welcome.
Thank you for your time,